Greek or Natural

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see alot of people on here eat greek yoghurt but when i have checked carb content on greek and natural and fromage frais there is very little difference and sometimes greek is slightly higher so just wondering why most posts i read always recommend greek?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the recommendation is mainly because there is often more fat in Greek yog (up to about 10% in some delicious brands :) ).

Yog is made by taking milk (which may be skimmed, semi, or full fat) and adding powdered milk (which may be skimmed, semi or full fat). So there is a lot of variation between brands. Plus the extras like flavourings which can often bump the carbs up more.

And for every gram of increased fat, there is one less gram of carb. ish. ;)

The other advantage of higher fat in yog is that it is slower to digest and more filling, so you get less blood glucose but more satisfaction, which usually means you don't get hungry so quickly.

:)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
plus that 10% greek yoghurt tastes amazingly ..also like a kind of sauce to chilli and hot spiced meat..

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedbird

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I see alot of people on here eat greek yoghurt but when i have checked carb content on greek and natural and fromage frais there is very little difference and sometimes greek is slightly higher so just wondering why most posts i read always recommend greek?
I used to eat regular yogurt - occasionally still do - but discovered Greek was easier on my Blood Sugars. The higher the fat content of a food item the longer it usually takes for the body to metabolize thus a slower release of sugars from those carbs

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I never used to like yoghurt until I tried full fat Turkish yoghurt from Lidl, but now they've discontinued it I'm finding Asda or Lidl full fat Greek yoghurt to be a reasonable alternative. Neither of them are as lush as the Turkish yoghurt was though. :(

D

Deleted member 308541

I tried full fat Turkish yoghurt from Lidl,
I would like to try the Turkish yoghurt, but do see it in our Colesworth supermarkets.

We will have to do a shop at Aldi's in Bundy and see if they have it in stock.