greek yogurt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Per my dietician's recommendation I mixed my flax meal with GY for a delicious new treat. Well maybe if I was really hungry but, on the other hand, I might have come up with an exciting new product . . . or not. Here's what happened.

I had a container of about 6 oz of GY and since I eat half that amount at a time decided to mix in 2 oz of flax meal. Serving size would be 3 oz of GY and 1 oz of flax meal. The fiber is 7.7 grams per serving or roughly 25% of where I'd like to be.

The first thing I noticed was it got thicker and brown and tasted a little funny. Not a terrible taste but instead of Greek Yogurt I had something kind of flat, no zing. That tart taste was gone. And it was thickening, I had to add water, about 2 oz, then 3 oz then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. The flax meal soaked up a lot of the moisture making the stuff a little like partially hardened cement (kinda looked like it too). So I added more water, 2 oz then a couple more. Now it's real runny and there's not the slightest sign of that tart and tangy tongue twister my GY once had.

Not very appetizing but I know it's good for me. Organic, non-GMO, gluten free, bland and a little bitter. All the hallmarks of a true health food.

The recommended serving size for ground flaxseed is 15g. That is about half an oz. You put too much in!! I also found that the longer you leave it mixed in the worse it is. If you mix it then eat it, it is nice and just the right texture, especially with a couple of strawberries.

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The recommended serving size for ground flaxseed is 15g. That is about half an oz. You put too much in!! I also found that the longer you leave it mixed in the worse it is. If you mix it then eat it, it is nice and just the right texture, especially with a couple of strawberries.

I don't grind my flaxseed, just the 10g of hemp as it's not nice to eat whole, that way I get the shell as well. I've seen the hearts for hemp and other seeds however digestion rate would be increased and therefore undo the power they have on steady release and minimal effect on my blood sugar, that's what I've found on myself.