Greens plus?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has any one tried using greens plus for veg and fruits intake ? With any results?
Bigdaddy - Is there any reason you wouldn't just eat your greens?

I love my vegetables, so eating them is absolutely no hardship to me, and of course, they can be great for filling us up a bit if we're in a trimming up phase?

Reactions: Bigdaddy1981

Bigdaddy1981

No no reason I'm just not great at diets I am a vegetarian for the last year and a half but I eat alot of breads and pastas potatos and other bad thing I will need to cut out with this diagnosis. So I'm looking in to some supplements that would help and be safe for me

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bigdaddy - Is there any reason you wouldn't just eat your greens?

I love my vegetables, so eating them is absolutely no hardship to me, and of course, they can be great for filling us up a bit if we're in a trimming up phase?

I wish I loved vegetables. I only eat the "good" ones now, the leafy green above-ground ones, but they don't fill me up any better than breads do. That is, they fill me up but they don't keep me full. Unlike meat. I wish my metabolism were such that they did.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I loved vegetables. I only eat the "good" ones now, the leafy green above-ground ones, but they don't fill me up any better than breads do. That is, they fill me up but they don't keep me full. Unlike meat. I wish my metabolism were such that they did.

Perhaps Saskia, you could try adding a knob of butter to your veg, or when we have mashed swede, there's always a dollop of sour cream in there. The fat makes a significant difference to the staying fuller longer factor.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps Saskia, you could try adding a knob of butter to your veg, or when we have mashed swede, there's always a dollop of sour cream in there. The fat makes a significant difference to the staying fuller longer factor.

Thanks. I do add butter. I think I will try going back to salads instead of cooked veg. The problem is, I prefer meat, but I don't want to overload on protein and not get any fiber.

I wish diabetes meals came in a can, like cat food or beef stew. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They can (see what I did there?) do - Tuna, salmon, mackerel, confit duck.

Quite a few folks do a carnivore diet these days. I haven't tried it myself, but is there a medical reason you want to avoid more protein?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I do add butter. I think I will try going back to salads instead of cooked veg. The problem is, I prefer meat, but I don't want to overload on protein and not get any fiber.

I wish diabetes meals came in a can, like cat food or beef stew. :)

Why are you worried about protein? Is it because of a medical condition? There is no reason why someone without a specific medical reason shouldn't eat a normal amount of protein. Every single cell in our bodies need it for maintenance and repair. Especially as we grow older.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A normal amount of protein is fine. But overeating protein can be risky for the kidneys. I take one BP med that limits the amount of ibuprofen I can take because of risk to the kidneys. Mine are fine, and I want them to stay that way.

And meat has no or very little fiber. And I'm not an obligate carnivore. My teeth are more like herbivores' teeth.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @bulkbiker .

I just went grocery shopping and came home with bacon and sausages, chicken salad, and some yummy cole slaw, which is full of fiber and more affordable than other salads. After a good protein breakfast (coffee with heavy cream, sausage with peanut butter) and a little cheese before heading out, I came back feeling energeized and not a bit hungry, which is always good. Especially since they have increased the price of the low-carb Atkins protein shakes by $1. :( They made a good meal at times when I wasn't very hungry.

Reactions: Anniya84