Gum disease - sorry its long

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi looking for some advice from anyone who has first hand experience of gum disease.
I've had type2 diabetes for approximately 8-10 years now, previously I'd got my numbers under control, but due to many factors my numbers have skyrocketed, and my ingestion of sugar has been ridiculous anyway, I'm back to looking after myself and working on lowering my numbers.
However I think I have gum disease, I have bleeding, swollen and receding gums which I can only put down to my diabetes, I have a dentist appointment in 2 weeks (after making the appointment at the start August) I've been brushing and flossing like always and started to use corsodyl twice per day.
Is there anything else I can do? What are my chances of reversing this condition & how?
Tia, Louise x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Loukay1 , I'm sorry to hear that life got in the way for a while, hopefully you'll be able to get a renewed handle on your diabetes!

I think your best chances are in lowering your BG. Glucose doesn't only sit in blood but in all fluids, including saliva.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can only think lowering sugars would help.
I have a dental plate (partial denture) and it's much easier to clean now that I am almost totally low carb. I can only imagine what damage years of binge sugar eating did to my already poor teeth.
It does annoy me that my dentists haven't given much much stronger warnings about sugar. They seem to concentrate on cleaning rather than preventing.

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

LeafyArts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have gum disease too and my dentist is seeing me every 3 months to clean my teeth and gums and to stimulate new growth. I have only had 2 treatments so far, so I don't know if it is helping at all.

I second the suggestion by @Hopeful34 to use dental brushes, they are great for getting in between the teeth.

RobynV

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to have surgery to correct/ repair receding gums. If other efforts don’t help. I imagine that would be a private medical thing. Oral surgeon. Trick is deciding when/ if necessary. As not fun (so I understand). I receding guns but they stabilised.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As a long term gingivitis sufferer, I can only say I think you are doing all the right things. Your receding gums can be halted and the bleeding gums stopped simply by treatment and practicing good oral hygiene, let your dentist or hygienist be your best friend. Just pulled this from the 'net but I received similar instructions from the dental hospital I attended many years ago.

Steps you can take at home to prevent and reverse gingivitis include:

• Brush your teeth twice a day or, better yet, after every meal or snack.
  • Use a soft toothbrush and replace it at least every three to four months.
  • Consider using an electric toothbrush, which may be more effective at removing plaque and tartar.
  • Floss daily.
  • Use a mouth rinse to help reduce plaque between your teeth.
  • Supplement brushing and flossing with an interdental cleaner, such as a dental pick, interdental brush or dental stick specially designed to clean between your teeth.
  • Get regular professional dental cleanings on a schedule recommended by your dentist.
  • Don't smoke or chew tobacco.
I was also recommended to use disclosing tablets and to brush my teeth in a particular way. Probably a hygienist will be able to direct you there.
Do you grind your teeth at all? I do and was slackening my teeth and creating pockets in my gums which was causing inflammation. The dental hospital recommended wearing a gum shield for bed. Certainly helped in my case.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is possible to have surgery to correct/ repair receding gums. If other efforts don’t help. I imagine that would be a private medical thing. Oral surgeon. Trick is deciding when/ if necessary. As not fun (so I understand). I receding guns but they stabilised.
I am going back years to when I was in my late 20s, I am 70 now so a long time ago. I was given a gingivectomy which is basically cutting back the gums, doing a really deep clean and sewing the gums back up closing any gaps. My op was undertaken at the dental hospital and was free as it was also a teaching hospital. I understand that the waiting list for a dental hospital referral is horrendous in my area but still feasible if you are prepared to wait.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As we are all different - despite thorough oral hygiene and not eating a great deal of sugar, I had years of swollen gums that bled intermittently, and a great deal of plaque. I could tell that the hygienist, although always polite, was convinced my oral hygiene was poor.

Then - T2 followed by keto, my gums are strong, not swollen, no more bleeding, no plaque problem. Hygienist didn't know about the link between high BG and gum issues. She is now very complimetary. I know from other posters that their dentists/hygienists know about the link, but mine, very good otherwise, didn't.

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Lainie71