1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gutted.

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by philfatkid, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Camilla

Camilla · Well-Known Member

Instead of porridge which is very high in carbs, try a protein breakfast based on eggs, fish or meat of any kind. Don't have fruit on an empty stomach - the fructose in it raises your bg very quickly and very high. A little fruit at the end of a protein/fat meal is a better way. Look at how much carb you are eating, that is where your answer lies. Try drinking dry white or red wine with your main meal, it makes a difference I find.

2. Camilla

Camilla · Well-Known Member

You emphasise fruit, this gives a clue. How much fruit are you eating? Be careful, fruit is pure carbohydrate and will raise your blood sugars every time. Try low carb fruits e.g. strawberries and most other berries. You can have double cream with them - it is only 1.6g of carb per 100g. Get away from sweet fruits - use a carb counting book, find out where the sugar is that you are eating in your diet and you will see a great improvement.

Your A1c is not very bad anyway, you just need to fine-tune.

3. philfatkid

philfatkid · Member

Hi,
    The original diet advice was given to me by my diabetic nurse, there was never any mention of cutting down on carbs, i saw my doctor on Mon he told me to try a low carb diet for a few months then he will review my results.
    Phil

4. philfatkid

philfatkid · Member

Hi,
    I think this is what my doctor said more or less, he suggested turning to a reduced carb diet for a few months, so here goes, fingers crossed.
    Phil

5. Topsec

Topsec · Well-Known Member

Wow - a doctor suggesting low carb - is it getting through to them at last!!??

Good luck Phil, I am sure you will see a difference :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook