Guy at hospital says I'm not normal !

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have posted before that some time next year I'm due for an aortic valve replacement, to correct Aortic Stenosis. A pre-op check-up at Harefield flagged a low platelet count of 108, triggering a letter to my GP asking for an urgent referral to a Haemotologist for investigation. That happened this afternoon.
Although I'm due back in 3 weeks (bloods today and 3 weeks time) he suspects there's nothing to worry about.
My count was below range 13 years ago (and has been since). He thinks I'm simply the one person in twenty for whom the normal range doesn't apply.
In the meanwhile he's asked me to abstain from alcohol and any vitamin supplementation.
Life could be tougher.

I'm just relieved to know I'm not normal ;)
Geoff

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have posted before that some time next year I'm due for an aortic valve replacement, to correct Aortic Stenosis. A pre-op check-up at Harefield flagged a low platelet count of 108, triggering a letter to my GP asking for an urgent referral to a Haemotologist for investigation. That happened this afternoon.
Although I'm due back in 3 weeks (bloods today and 3 weeks time) he suspects there's nothing to worry about.
My count was below range 13 years ago (and has been since). He thinks I'm simply the one person in twenty for whom the normal range doesn't apply.
In the meanwhile he's asked me to abstain from alcohol and any vitamin supplementation.
Life could be tougher.

I'm just relieved to know I'm not normal ;)
Geoff

I think many of us are the one person in 20 to whom normal ranges of anything don't apply. :) Normal for you is normal.

Fingers crossed all goes well for you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Bluetit1802. I'll let everyone know when I have a date. It's the week of hospital food I'm not looking forward to :***::arghh::stop:
Geoff

@librarising - I have an agreement with my OH that if I have to go into dry dock for any more than an overnight stay, he will bring me food parcels.

Having visited someone in hospital a couple of months ago, around a mealtime, what shocked me most was the beige-ness (literally) of their meal.

Could your wife/partner bring you in food?

I hope it all goes well for you.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@librarising - I have an agreement with my OH that if I have to go into dry dock for any more than an overnight stay, he will bring me food parcels.

Having visited someone in hospital a couple of months ago, around a mealtime, what shocked me most was the beige-ness (literally) of their meal.

Could your wife/partner bring you in food?

I hope it all goes well for you.
Thank you @DCUKMod. It appears I may be worrying unnecessarily :
"The food at Harefield Hospital was awarded a rating of 'excellent' in the 2010 PEAT (Patient Environment Action Team) assessment."
http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/patients/harefield/food/
Geoff

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @DCUKMod. It appears I may be worrying unnecessarily :
"The food at Harefield Hospital was awarded a rating of 'excellent' in the 2010 PEAT (Patient Environment Action Team) assessment."
http://www.rbht.nhs.uk/patients/harefield/food/
Geoff

I've just had a peep at the link. Apparently if you are GF, you should take in enough bread etc to last you until the ordering system catches up.

It's a shame the menu booklet they suggest every bad has isn't published to ensure you'll be catered for. I appreciate you'r likely a "normal eater", so it might all be a moot point for you.

I hope it all works out well.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason they probably had you see a hematologist about the thrombocytopenia (low plts) is because of your upcoming valve replacement. I'm assuming your of a young enough age to get a mechanical valve (usually St. Jude in the US, made of pyrolite carbon, 2 semicircular tilting discs inside a circular sewing ring). That requires lifetime anticoagulation with warfarin. Since the main function of platelets is to aggregate and stick together at the site of bleeding, and summon the various protein factors that participate in the "clotting cascade" they probably wanted to make sure you weren't prone to bleeding before they committed you to a lifetime of anticoagulation. Otherwise they might choose a tissue valve.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The reason they probably had you see a hematologist about the thrombocytopenia (low plts) is because of your upcoming valve replacement. I'm assuming your of a young enough age to get a mechanical valve (usually St. Jude in the US, made of pyrolite carbon, 2 semicircular tilting discs inside a circular sewing ring). That requires lifetime anticoagulation with warfarin. Since the main function of platelets is to aggregate and stick together at the site of bleeding, and summon the various protein factors that participate in the "clotting cascade" they probably wanted to make sure you weren't prone to bleeding before they committed you to a lifetime of anticoagulation. Otherwise they might choose a tissue valve.
I'm 65 and the surgeon's letter says either tissue or Resilia via minimally invasive surgery. Strangely enough I was watching a TAVR procedure on YT this morning
Thanks for your reply
Geoff

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
TAVRs are cool. They do 'em in my town. Not at the VA though. The deal is with Medicare here a CV surgeon has to turn you down to get a TAVR. They probably wouldn't turn you down you need to be an old geezer or have stuff wrong with you that makes your operative risk high. But there it's probably different. The freaking Sapien and Core TAVR valves cost like $65,000! I think a regular St. Jude is like $8,000. They put you to sleep thank God.