1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gylcimoc Index

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Ponchu, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

It's rubbish imo. I don't waste my time with the GI index.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Personally, I make use of it all the time. Once fully understood and the various foods subject to self testing it works out OK. As one of the commenters points out, different foods affect different people with variability. That's where the self testing comes in. After a while I've got a good profile of foods I tend to eat most of the time. Works for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The GI values given are an average or best fit only.
    Apparently each person;' individual response to food depends on the mix of bowel bugs we each carry.
    They seem to determine how sensitive our body is the insulin and thus how well or not the food is handled.
    Mind you the less carb you eat the less you need to worry about it!!

4. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Learned to stop listening to the GI as soon as I went low carb, rather know what I can eat without worrying than referring to an index card that MAY or MAY NOT be an indicator of how it'll mess with my system.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I tried the GI and GL way of eating several years ago.
    Disastrous.
    Just seemed to encourage me to eat more carbs.
    Also, without testing endlessly for 4 or 5 hours after meals to track each 'high fibre' food combo, I thought I was doing better than I actually was, and my next next Hba1c was an unpleasant shock. The carbs still release glucose, it just takes a bit longer.

I find it far simpler to just avoid carbs, and when/if I do eat them keep the portions as small as possible, and eat them after a meal.
    Much simpler than doing all those calculations.

Food intolerances also seem to mess the calculations up - in my case, gluten.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The glycaemic index was founded on testing normoglycaemic individuals, most of us on this forum are not normoglycaemic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No doubt soon to be replaced with ‘keto approved’ labels. I’ve never found this particularly useful. Experimenting with real whole foods seems far more efficacious than looking for seals of approval on processed rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Pasha

Pasha Prediabetes · Expert

"eat to your meter" IMHO remains the best system around. Just the measured facts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook