Type 2 Gym Help

gracopp883

Type of diabetes
Type 1
On adivce from my dietician, i was told that a good idea was to dilute 200ml or orange juice on 1ltr of water, to keep a steady flow of sugar whilst exercising, to avoid a hypo.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I control my T2D with diet only, and have started exercising more seriously in the last few months. I have noticed that I don't get hungry at all after workouts, even when I tried to do them fasted (I found that I couldn't lift as heavy if fasted, so I don't do that any more). My workouts used to consist of very short, intensive HIIT with kettlebells, but I phased those out when I started doing Stronglifts 5x5. Lifting heavy weights is tiring, but it doesn't provoke hunger pangs either.

I just realised it could be either the nature of the exercise (heavy lifting) or the fact that I'm keto-adapted, having been on LCHF for a long time, so my body is not craving glucose as fuel (or my liver is well-trained to provide it when needed). Maybe both.

The answer to the question what to eat before or after - I have a lunch of 500-800 cals (usually a salad with avocado and some meat/fish) about 3 hours prior to lifting then eat nothing until the next morning. My goal is to build muscle and shed about 10 kgs of fat. Oh, and I'm a middle-aged female.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regarding the whey issue, I make my own (out of 'home-brewed' kefir - out of each batch of kefir I make both soft cheese and whey), and to start with I figured that most if not all of the lactose would have been consumed by the fermentation process, so assumed the whey would contain negligible carbohydrate.

Whether it actually does contain carbohydrate I don't know, but the stuff I make is like rocket fuel where it comes to blood glucose! I use it to rehydrate after exercising, but I need to take insulin for it - and this morning when I woke up hypo a small glass of whey/water/sugar-free squash combo got me right back into normal levels very quickly.

At any rate, it's delicious and 'feels' very hydrating.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unimaginative people, Diabetes, Cold weather.
Hi all, when I asked my trainer at the local gym should I use a low carb whey his reply was "Whey is a supplement, do you have a rubbish diet? If not then don't waste your money".