1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gym routines and pumping

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by albannach2, Apr 12, 2009.

1. albannach2

albannach2 · Active Member

Hi All
    Need your help again ?! I've been on a pump now for a few months and have to say it was a good decision, finding things much easier. Im about to start using the gym again but would welcome some advice on roughly how much to drop my basal dose for a 40 mins cardio gym routine. I know everyone is different etc, but can anyone give me a rough figure to start from? Many thanks

2. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

I don't know this one, but would it be an idea to work up to it? Then you could work it out gradually.
    40 minutes sounds a lot if you haven't been doing it.
    I've had a week off and 45 minutes on the easyline circuit shattered me this morning.

3. kegstore

kegstore · Well-Known Member

Very careful fine tuning! I go for a ride on my bike most weeks, for around 30 minutes and drop basal rate to 50% for 1 hour before during and after the exercise. I usually have a piece of fruit before and a biscuit after as well. Provided I don't exert myself TOO much, I can normally keep a relatively flat bg throughout and after the ride, the advantage being for me is that I have CGM so can check this every couple of minutes if need be. But this is purely what works for me, so take care :).

4. Steveee

Steveee · Active Member

It all depends on how much work you are going to do :wink:

For me, I do approx 15 mins hard cardio then a lot of weights - approximately 16 - 18 tons.

My routine is normally:

Check BG - if normal I have small box of raisens before I start (approx 10gms)
    Drop basal to 40% for 1 hour.
    Exercise
    After I finish check BG again and adjust accordingly, i.e. small carb to bring BG up if low.

Check BG again in 1-2 hours. You may even see BG jump up if you have dropped the basal too low.

5. bonerp

bonerp · Well-Known Member

I generally don't bother changing mine now. I have tried allsorts but sometimes would drop and other times go high.

I now aim for about 10-12 bg before, take some protein before and after and do 2 tests: one an hour after and another hour to two after that.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook