Had blood tests..

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I'm Jude and two days ago had a plasma glucose blood test and HbA1c. I have had no symptoms other than perhaps more tiredness than normal. My plasma glucose came back at 7mmol/L which is normal but today my HbA1c came back as 58mmol/mol which is in the most definite diabetic range. I was waiting for these results and found them on my medical records access app for the GP Practice. I have phoned the GP today and they have said that they do not have any appointments or phone consultations available until next Thursday! I am obviously very worried but they didn't seem that worried. Should the GP be calling me asap to let me know the next steps, I am confused at their apparent lack of concern. Thank you very much for listening to me rattling on!

BW

Jude

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I'm Jude and two days ago had a plasma glucose blood test and HbA1c. I have had no symptoms other than perhaps more tiredness than normal. My plasma glucose came back at 7mmol/L which is normal but today my HbA1c came back as 58mmol/mol which is in the most definite diabetic range. I was waiting for these results and found them on my medical records access app for the GP Practice. I have phoned the GP today and they have said that they do not have any appointments or phone consultations available until next Thursday! I am obviously very worried but they didn't seem that worried. Should the GP be calling me asap to let me know the next steps, I am confused at their apparent lack of concern. Thank you very much for listening to me rattling on!

BW

Jude
Hello @JER1507 and welcome.
Whilst I understand your concerns, that HbA1c result would not be regarded as an emergency.
Many of the members here have started out with much higher blood glucose levels an yet managed to turn it round fairly quickly by making a few tweaks to their diet and lifestyle.
There are some links with info for newly diagnosed in my signature which I recommend you read. Then come back and ask questions. You can go to your appointment armed with some understanding.

Best wishes
Pipp

Last edited:

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi Pipp

Thank you so much for replying. I think my brain has gone into overdrive and initial panic I guess. I will certainly be reading more on the forum that you have suggested. Thanks again!

Jude

Reactions: Pipp

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Hey Jude (pardon the pun}
Welcome to the forum.
Your anxiety is completely understandable and I think most of us had similar emotions when first diagnosed.
Your HbA1c of 58 is not too terrible and with a few tweeks of your diet it should be relatively easy to get that number down. The thing to bear in mind is that it's your diabetes not your Dr's. Learn all you can about T2, if you know what's gone wrong (you have become resistant to insulin) fixing it is relatively easy, stop eating the foods that require insulin (carbs)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi Pipp

Thank you so much for replying. I think my brain has gone into overdrive and initial panic I guess. I will certainly be reading more on the forum that you have suggested. Thanks again!

Jude
The link at the bottom of @catinahat 's reply is also really good!

Reactions: JER1507

JER1507

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thank you! just getting my head around T2 and what I need to do get myself back on track, it knocked me for six this morning so just trying to take it all in. Thanks again.

BW

Jude

Reactions: Grant_Vicat