Hair loss and low iron

ALCarey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 in September and I’m now losing my hair. A recent blood test also shows I’m low in iron. I’m seeing my GP next week but it’s worrying me. Is it connected to diabetes? Your thoughts are appreciated.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed with type 1 in September and I’m now losing my hair. A recent blood test also shows I’m low in iron. I’m seeing my GP next week but it’s worrying me. Is it connected to diabetes? Your thoughts are appreciated.

A lot of people (including myself) have experienced this after diagnosis. It usually stops when your average blood sugar level gets lower. I don't know what the connection is but my blood sugars have been a bit higher than I would like for a couple of months now and I seem to be collecting hair every time I wash it!

Reactions: ALCarey

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
A lot of people (including myself) have experienced this after diagnosis. It usually stops when your average blood sugar level gets lower. I don't know what the connection is but my blood sugars have been a bit higher than I would like for a couple of months now and I seem to be collecting hair every time I wash it!

Would you happen to know if this happens to T2s? I'm losing hair by the bunch.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could I ask why? I’m new to this and didn’t know where was best to post!

I think you have tagged me instead of @urbanracer but I think what he means is that if you look in the 'Ask a Question' part of the forum or on the 'New Posts' section you will see the latest threads. Two threads on the same subject will mean that advice/information may get split. There is also the search function that you can see at the top of the forum page which allows you to find information without posting a separate thread. Hope this helps.

ALCarey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you have tagged me instead of @urbanracer but I think what he means is that if you look in the 'Ask a Question' part of the forum or on the 'New Posts' section you will see the latest threads. Two threads on the same subject will mean that advice/information may get split. There is also the search function that you can see at the top of the forum page which allows you to find information without posting a separate thread. Hope this helps.

It does, thank you for taking the time to reply and apologies it went to you!