1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hair Loss Newbie

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Strachan1, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ann34+

ann34+ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yes, i lost at least a quarter of my quite long hair, about 6 weeks after the diagnosis , it was coming out in handfuls, thought that was because i had been in intensive care in a coma on diagnosis, maybe not. Hair grew back but it was very distressing.

2. Diamattic

Diamattic Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had some hair loss as well. It started about 2-ish month after diagnosis. I saw a doctor who did all the standared tests to ensure it wasn't a specific cause and ended with the conclusion that the stress during diagnosis/DKA caused more then the normal amount of my hair to enter the 'resting phase' which lasts 4-8 weeks and then the hair falls out. Its a normal process, but increased stress can cause hair to enter this early and means hair loss.

So yes, lost a bunch of hair due to stress. Once this process stopped (it last like 1 month, or however long it took my DKA to develop) it all grew back and never had an issue again.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook