Hair Loss

Darran_007

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed type 1 on March 13th 2017. She was really quite unwell as me and my wife had no idea what was wrong with her. we put the weight loss down to puberty and just that she was beginning to lose her puppy fat. It eventually got to the point where we took her to hospital, she was admitted for 3 days, we felt like the worst parents ever and this is where we are now.
She's doing great though and her bloods are fine, diabetic team and consultants are really happy with her
and we think she's a star.
There is one thing that's been getting more and more a worry which is her hair loss. We have been told that this is due to the trauma that her body went through and it will calm down. This is really getting her down and last night my wife was combing her hair through after a shower and the amount of hair that was on the comb was very worrying.
I was just wondering if anybody else had any experience, of this or advice that could be given to help us through.

Darran.

katmcd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed in February and as soon as my BG was brought down within a week my hair started coming out in the bath/shower and brushing. There was quite a lot coming out, the hairdresser was a bit concerned when i got my hair cut after 3 weeks after diagnosis. I could pull my ponytail and have quite a bit come out without feeling it. It lasted about 3 months and now it's stopped falling out and has started regrowing. It's just the body's way of showing its had a bit of a trauma and it's a delayed reaction. As long as BG is controlled I was told it would stop happening and it did. I'm sure the same will happen with your daughter. What I did was get my hair cut to make it look thicker (blunt fringe and no layering) to hide the thinning which worked really well. Good luck, I'm sure it will work out fine! K x

Darran_007

I was diagnosed in February and as soon as my BG was brought down within a week my hair started coming out in the bath/shower and brushing. There was quite a lot coming out, the hairdresser was a bit concerned when i got my hair cut after 3 weeks after diagnosis. I could pull my ponytail and have quite a bit come out without feeling it. It lasted about 3 months and now it's stopped falling out and has started regrowing. It's just the body's way of showing its had a bit of a trauma and it's a delayed reaction. As long as BG is controlled I was told it would stop happening and it did. I'm sure the same will happen with your daughter. What I did was get my hair cut to make it look thicker (blunt fringe and no layering) to hide the thinning which worked really well. Good luck, I'm sure it will work out fine! K x
That's really reassuring I can't wait to tell her it will help put her mind (and ours) at rest. Many thanks for that X

Reactions: Geordie_P