Half Marathon

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I found out I was Diabetic 3 months ago, with a H1AC score of 54, from that day on I went low carb, lost 5 stone and exercised daily for an hour. I've now reintroduced some carbs with dinner, which has had little to no impact on BG.

I'm currently training for a half marathon then a full marathon next year, doing two runs a week (due to damaged knees) and the rest low impact cardio in the gym. I'm after a bit of advice:

- Although I eat a moderate amount of carbs, carb loading isn't going to be an option. Is there any way of getting extra energy in me, before a race.
- Has anyone had energy drinks/bars and then gone for a long run without raising BG.
- Any other tips for prep?

Cheers

Adrian

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two options

1. Consume small amounts of carbs as you run round
2. Be fat adapted before the run, i.e. Have your body in a state where you are consuming your own fat, it lasts for days, rather than the few hours carbs last

For a Half marathon you shouldn't need anything else but water.
How long do you think it will take you?

Reactions: Robkww

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
1.40 ish. I'm going to start having a few carbs before a run and see what it does.

Thanks for your response.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two options

1. Consume small amounts of carbs as you run round
2. Be fat adapted before the run, i.e. Have your body in a state where you are consuming your own fat, it lasts for days, rather than the few hours carbs last

For a Half marathon you shouldn't need anything else but water.
How long do you think it will take you?
Hi I'm just interested in becoming fat adapted. I'm type 1 and trying run for longer than an hour to 9o mins. I seem to have to have my blood sugar fairly high when I set off because after about 45 mins I seem to have used my glycogen stores and start burning my blood sugar away - so I get a big drop for the next half hour or so. As you say the other option is to start eating carbs which I find a pain really. I do interval training - does this promote fat use for fuel? Any tips are greatly appreciated

Hm112819

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Can't advise on becoming fat adapted.

Went for a run today, I was 4.9 before setting off. Had a dairy milk and ran 8 miles in 1.09 (1.40 is aspirational for the half) Got home and tested after a shower 5.1.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can't advise on becoming fat adapted.

Went for a run today, I was 4.9 before setting off. Had a dairy milk and ran 8 miles in 1.09 (1.40 is aspirational for the half) Got home and tested after a shower 5.1.

What you can not tell is how much you have emptied your liver of stored BG, after a run you can have a slightly higher BG but will be a lot more able to cope with curbs then before the run.