1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hand Soap Or Hand Wash

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Piaprince, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Piaprince

Piaprince Type 2 · Newbie

I read an item from a local diabetes group that stated that the ingredients in a handwash product contained sugar. I washed my hands with the handwash, then tested. Result was 7.1. I then washed hands with hand soap and after testing immediately after testing with hand wash the result was 6.8. A difference of 3 points. I found this very interesting and wondered if anyone else had experienced this. But also why put sugar in handwash and why no warning signs on the product regarding use by people with diabetes.

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have not heard of sugar being used in hand wash and never experienced an issue if I use handwash.

However, a couple of things to consider
    - Our meters are not 100% accurate and a difference of 0.3 mmol/l is insignificant
    - I believe, soap is better for the environment as one normal bar lasts longer than a normal bottle of handwash and the packaging contains a lot less plastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whatever suits you, meters aren't 100% accurate anyway so it would be hard to determine if one cleaned your hands better. I actually use my grand childrens wet wipes because it is easier.

4. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

By coincidence this came up last week. I volunteer at an MS Centre and we have to keep our hands exceptionally clean to avoid the risk of spreading nasty things to people with compromised immune systems. Somebody had read about it and spread the word as they knew there were several diabetic clients as well as volunteers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Phoenix55

Phoenix55 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

There is a possibility that it has 'sugar soap' added which in some formulations may be added to produce more lather but does not contain any sugar but is named because it resembles sugar when dry. If I remember my school biology correctly, the skin is a semi permeable membrane which allows liquid out but not in, otherwise Brits would have dissolved into mush long ago. Unless there is a break in the skin any sugar should stay on the surface and be washed away. If there is a cut or abrasion then care should always be taken with perfumes/soaps etc.

6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Whichever method we use, we should rinse our hands thoroughly under running water to remove residue and then dry carefully. Damp on fingers can affect results.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Makes it taste better.:)

When testing I use no soap or hand wash just running water then dry thoroughly,

I have found some scented soaps skew the readings some times.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook