Hand Soap Or Hand Wash

Piaprince

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read an item from a local diabetes group that stated that the ingredients in a handwash product contained sugar. I washed my hands with the handwash, then tested. Result was 7.1. I then washed hands with hand soap and after testing immediately after testing with hand wash the result was 6.8. A difference of 3 points. I found this very interesting and wondered if anyone else had experienced this. But also why put sugar in handwash and why no warning signs on the product regarding use by people with diabetes.

D

Deleted Account

I have not heard of sugar being used in hand wash and never experienced an issue if I use handwash.

However, a couple of things to consider
- Our meters are not 100% accurate and a difference of 0.3 mmol/l is insignificant
- I believe, soap is better for the environment as one normal bar lasts longer than a normal bottle of handwash and the packaging contains a lot less plastic.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whatever suits you, meters aren't 100% accurate anyway so it would be hard to determine if one cleaned your hands better. I actually use my grand childrens wet wipes because it is easier.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I found this very interesting and wondered if anyone else had experienced this.

By coincidence this came up last week. I volunteer at an MS Centre and we have to keep our hands exceptionally clean to avoid the risk of spreading nasty things to people with compromised immune systems. Somebody had read about it and spread the word as they knew there were several diabetic clients as well as volunteers.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
There is a possibility that it has 'sugar soap' added which in some formulations may be added to produce more lather but does not contain any sugar but is named because it resembles sugar when dry. If I remember my school biology correctly, the skin is a semi permeable membrane which allows liquid out but not in, otherwise Brits would have dissolved into mush long ago. Unless there is a break in the skin any sugar should stay on the surface and be washed away. If there is a cut or abrasion then care should always be taken with perfumes/soaps etc.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whichever method we use, we should rinse our hands thoroughly under running water to remove residue and then dry carefully. Damp on fingers can affect results.