1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hanging my head in shame

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by MissPooh, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MissPooh

MissPooh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Having been diagnosed type 2 nearly 2 years ago, I got off to a complete flier.
    Switched to a LCHF diet, lost loads of weight, took plenty exercise and felt great......but now, I've fallen off the wagon and back to feeling feeling sluggish, mainly because I'm eating rubbish I shouldn't be touching.
    I need a new BG monitor, my old one has given up the ghost, once I see those figures in black and white again, reality will kick in, so what kind of monitor (and strips) do you good people advise me to look at?
    Thanks in advance

• Hug Hug x 14
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome back @MissPooh
    For ones with cheap strips either sd codfree or the newer Tee2

sd codefree
    http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
    discount codes for the strips
    5 packs 264086
    10 packs 975833

Tee2
    http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
    Meter is free as are accessories.

I've been using the sd codefree for a while but have just got the Tee2 as people on here were talking about it. Both give me similar readings. Not much to choose between them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @MissPooh
    I can confirm what @Hiitsme has said above. I have been using the SD Codefree and TEE2 meters for comparative purposes for a few days now .. there has never been any significant variation between the readings from both. I have not tried the meter on the new Type 2 Testing Programme - see website at: https://www.type2testing.com but I guess that there will be little difference ... my personal preference is the TEE2. The actual costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the three packages above. I don't know yet whether my Surgery will provide the strips etc on prescription .. but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

please don´t feel ashamed, think of yourself like you would judge another that has gotten this unwanted disease.. be kind to yourself and just get up again and get into focus... send you my love and a hug...:)

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. MissPooh

Thank you guys, I'm really feeling those excess pounds!!
    I had the Codefree before, but both stopped working after a few months, despite new batteries.
    I'll have a wee look at the Tee2.
    I've bought a new FitBit already, now self control where do I get that?

• Like Like x 3
    • Hug Hug x 2
  6. ellagy

ellagy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

From the shop where you get it off the Shelf Control, of course @MissPooh ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. MissPooh

Tee2 ordered

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. AM1874

AM1874 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi @MissPooh ..
    Good choice .. I hope it works as well for you as it has for me ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. helga_t75

helga_t75 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your path sounds very similar to mine :-( For me I think it was rebellion at the sheer hard work and unwavering focus it needs, then your bloods get high and you feel ****** and crave sugar and carbs, which makes you feel worse... and round you go.

Well done you for taking control back. You've done it once, you know what to do.
    There should be no shame in type 2 diabetes. Read this: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/47101698.php
    Good luck xx

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. berylc

berylc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@MissPooh I've been there, lost 2 stone in weight, then I fell over a low wall, hurt myself quite badly and then got depressed and it was a circle of eating bad things, feeling guilty and eating more bad things to make me feel better - it didn't! But now I'm back on the wagon and feel so much better. Getting back onto that wagon is do-able. Just put all of that guilty luggage behind you and start with an empty suitcase! I know that IF I was go ever eat a chocolate flake again, I'd fall off that wagon with a thud.
    I've just ordered the TEE2 as backup for my SDCodefree, I'm never too sure if it reads right. Remember to put in the details on the TEE" site for VAT exemption (towards the end of the billing, on the right hand side).
    Just stick in and you will feel better soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook