Hard to control BG when traveling

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
live in California, US. Just came back after spending 2 months in Asia. Controlling BG is hard enough and is more hard in new environments. You have to start all over again. Airline food is obviously not diabetic friendly. Coming back gets harder to get your taste back. Any suggestions to control BG while traveling will be helpful. Thanks

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a libre whenever I am away. If it shows something has raised my bg then it's easier to stick with low carb until it comes back down again. Adjusting daily is easier than 2 monthly!

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am pre and travel a lot, libre is costly and very handy too. I check my BG regularly while traveling. I don’t take meds, thanks for the help and reply!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also becoming fat adapted so I am rarely hungry and know that I can fast without ill effects gets me through some travelling, especially refusing airline food.

I also take nuts and packets of olives (ie things that don't need refrigeration) just in case. And any other packet snacks such as Cheesies and Pork crunchies.

Also if there's language differences get a local to write "no sugar, no honey" on a piece of paper helps , especially in countries where the tea is always sweetened.

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Omar or perhaps Alsalam Alaikom:),
If you do not take med you can take veg or no carb diet when you are travelling.
It is hard for me when travelling tbh but luckily I do not travel much.

Reactions: Omar51

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Also becoming fat adapted so I am rarely hungry and know that I can fast without ill effects gets me through some travelling, especially refusing airline food.

I also take nuts and packets of olives (ie things that don't need refrigeration) just in case. And any other packet snacks such as Cheesies and Pork crunchies.

Also if there's language differences get a local to write "no sugar, no honey" on a piece of paper helps , especially in countries where the tea is always sweetened.

Language not much issue, English is almost universal, I only take black coffee, got to plan ahead, more planning the better for me, thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Omar or perhaps Alsalam Alaikom:),
If you do not take med you can take veg or no carb diet when you are travelling.
It is hard for me when travelling tbh but luckily I do not travel much.

Assalamu Alaikum, Carry veggies good idea, I carry boiled eggs and eat egg white only. I am retired and like to travel. Thanks for info and your help!

Last edited: