1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Hard to control BG when traveling

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Omar51, May 22, 2022.

1. Omar51

Omar51 · Well-Known Member

live in California, US. Just came back after spending 2 months in Asia. Controlling BG is hard enough and is more hard in new environments. You have to start all over again. Airline food is obviously not diabetic friendly. Coming back gets harder to get your taste back. Any suggestions to control BG while traveling will be helpful. Thanks

2. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use a libre whenever I am away. If it shows something has raised my bg then it's easier to stick with low carb until it comes back down again. Adjusting daily is easier than 2 monthly!

3. Omar51

I am pre and travel a lot, libre is costly and very handy too. I check my BG regularly while traveling. I don’t take meds, thanks for the help and reply!

4. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Also becoming fat adapted so I am rarely hungry and know that I can fast without ill effects gets me through some travelling, especially refusing airline food.

I also take nuts and packets of olives (ie things that don't need refrigeration) just in case. And any other packet snacks such as Cheesies and Pork crunchies.

Also if there's language differences get a local to write "no sugar, no honey" on a piece of paper helps , especially in countries where the tea is always sweetened.

5. Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Omar or perhaps Alsalam Alaikom:),
    If you do not take med you can take veg or no carb diet when you are travelling.
    It is hard for me when travelling tbh but luckily I do not travel much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Omar51

Language not much issue, English is almost universal, I only take black coffee, got to plan ahead, more planning the better for me, thanks for your help!

#6 Omar51, May 24, 2022 at 3:34 AM
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
  7. Omar51

Assalamu Alaikum, Carry veggies good idea, I carry boiled eggs and eat egg white only. I am retired and like to travel. Thanks for info and your help!

• Agree Agree x 1
    #7 Omar51, May 24, 2022 at 3:41 AM
    Last edited: May 24, 2022
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook