Hard to swallow metformin

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I had to stop taking metformin over 8 weeks ago due to not been able to swallow them even though I've been on them most of my life I tried to cut them in half and taking them with milk but my throat feels so blocked that it makes me violently vomit has anyone experienced this did you find anything that helped any advice I'd be so grateful as I've worked so hard last 16 months to get my hba1c down and to closely monitor blood sugars I've since had to put my tresbia up because of not able to handle metformin thanks for any advice

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could ask your go for liquid metformin, but just wondered if you'd had the problem with your throats investigated, or is it only metformin that's causing problems?

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You could ask your go for liquid metformin, but just wondered if you'd had the problem with your throats investigated, or is it only metformin that's causing problems?
Gp says liquid metformin to expensive and I'm on waiting list

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you've been taking them without problems for a long time and you suddenly can't swallow them anymore, I second @Hopeful34 's suggestion to have your throat checked.

Aside from that, have you tried swallowing the tablets with a spoonful of yoghurt or apple sauce or such? I find it much easier than with just liquids.

Reactions: monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you've been taking them without problems for a long time and you suddenly can't swallow them anymore, I second @Hopeful34 's suggestion to have your throat checked.

Aside from that, have you tried swallowing the tablets with a spoonful of yoghurt or apple sauce or such? I find it much easier than with just liquids.
I'll try that thank u

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Swallowing with a spoonful of yoghurt works for me
Carol

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
There is no waiting list for liquid Metformin. It is about £5 a month more expensive than the tablets and I’m thinking the GP is trying to fob you off to see if you will stay on the tablets. Time to write a letter to your GP (recorded delivery).
Let the GP know that you have a right to good quality of life and that you want you throat investigated for swallowing difficulties and it is advisable to change you to liquid to avoid a choking risk. If he fails to do it then let me know.

Reactions: monkeygirl

monkeygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There is no waiting list for liquid Metformin. It is about £5 a month more expensive than the tablets and I’m thinking the GP is trying to fob you off to see if you will stay on the tablets. Time to write a letter to your GP (recorded delivery).
Let the GP know that you have a right to good quality of life and that you want you throat investigated for swallowing difficulties and it is advisable to change you to liquid to avoid a choking risk. If he fails to do it then let me know.
Thank u so much I will do that and let u know how I get on

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Are metformin tablets not water soluble?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are metformin tablets not water soluble?
I do not think so, but I never tried when I was taking them as I followed the instructions of swallow whole with food.

That's why Metformin supply a liquid version I suppose.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u so much I will do that and let u know how I get on
I would definitely take Naija Chick’s advice and email a letter.Ask for a written reply, they will hopefully be reluctant to put any exaggeration or downright lie in writing.

In the meantime I was always choking trying to take tablets as a teenager. I think with me there was nothing physically wrong with my throat but when you have choked and been sick once your body seems to do everything to avoid having a tablet go down again. Of course this just makes the whole thing worse! I found with yogurt or a sauce you can still feel the tablet sliding down and I would still then panic and choke. Certainly worth trying though.

I did find a solution, I was not diabetic then, Take a good bite of bread, chew for just enough time, not too long though, quickly stick the tablet in the middle of the slightly chewed up bread. Swallow the bread now containing the tablet, you will not even know it’s there. Maybe use low carb bread? Worked every time for me when young.

If you think there might be a physical problem with your throat do ask for it to be checked out, are your tonsils swollen? Could a family member look with a torch?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Can metformin oral tablets be chewed, crushed, or split?

You may crush or split immediate-release metformin tablets. But you should never break, crush, or chew extended-release metformin tablets. This is because breaking, crushing, or chewing the tablets changes the way they work in your body. If you’re having trouble swallowing the tablets, talk with your doctor. They may recommend taking a different medication or using the liquid form of metformin that’s taken by mouth.

https://www.healthline.com/health/drugs/metformin-oral-tablet#how-to-take

So crushing them into yogurt or ice cream would work it's what I used to do with my pyridostigmine as with MG swallowing has always been a problem.

Last edited:

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I had to fight to get liquid metformin for my husband . G.p likes to fob you off , or as ours said it didn’t exist.

fatbill717

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I had to stop taking metformin over 8 weeks ago due to not been able to swallow them even though I've been on them most of my life I tried to cut them in half and taking them with milk but my throat feels so blocked that it makes me violently vomit has anyone experienced this did you find anything that helped any advice I'd be so grateful as I've worked so hard last 16 months to get my hba1c down and to closely monitor blood sugars I've since had to put my tresbia up because of not able to handle metformin thanks for any advice

I had the same problem, but because I have Parkinson's.
The liquid Metformin made me nauseous and gave me diarrohea.
I couldn't continue with it.
I had managed Metformin tablets (2×850mg) fine for years.
I'd have a throat examination.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to fight to get liquid metformin for my husband . G.p likes to fob you off , or as ours said it didn’t exist.

Good grief. Must be from the same school as a friend's GP who pretended it was impossible to have a full thyroid panel test.

Tim P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using a pill chopper to cut in half and then in quarters and mix pieces in Snack Pack puddings or no-name equivalent. Once mixed, swallow it right away before it has a chance to get bitter by dissolving a bit in the pudding. I used to choke as it bound in my throat and apple sauce didn't seem to work.

Reactions: Omar51