Has anyone been on XPERT diabetes course

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had dates through for a six-week course - it says these are all three-hour sessions, week-day afternoons which means trying to get time off work. I just wondered if anyone has done this course and how useful they found it. I was diagnosed in January with HB1ac of 70 and have been following a low carb diet and my latest result is 44 and feel as though I am muddling through ok so far but don’t want to turn down the course if others have found it useful. I haven’t been using a meter but have just ordered one. Thank you for any help.

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @AnnieH 2 I did an X-PERT course when I first got diagnosed which I found useful, having come at my diagnosis with no knowledge at all, it just helped fill in some blanks and was also good to be around other people and talk about 'diabetes' issues. It's really down to you how you feel, I know it's time off work but maybe try a couple of sessions first and see how you feel ?

Bigbumcooper

I am on week 5 and found it really useful, mine have been 2 1/2 hour sessions and work allowed me the time off. I was diagnosed type 2 in December and was 17.9, now I am averaging 6.5

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

AnnieH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you both for your replies. @Bigbumcooper can I ask whether the course is mainly based around what to eat and what not to eat or does it cover meters and the science behind diabetes etc (I hope that makes sense!)

Bigbumcooper

Thank you both for your replies. @Bigbumcooper can I ask whether the course is mainly based around what to eat and what not to eat or does it cover meters and the science behind diabetes etc (I hope that makes sense!)

Sorry for the late reply. It covered all sorts of things including reading labels and why and how things happen. Found it really informative

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was due to go on an update course last month which was cancelled because they didn't have the staff. Next one is October. It more or less just covers the problem in simple terms, such as the typical type 2 who is insulin resistant and so their insulin is less efficient at pushing glucose into the cells. Diet advice usually follows the Eatwell Plate, which many on here feel is seriously flawed because it's carb heavy. If you are diabetic, you are carbohydrate intolerant. How can the solution to that be to stuff yourself with carbohydrates? Some of us have found that a low carb diet has helped reduce blood glucose levels. Meters are not mentioned for type 2s unless on BG lowering medications which might cause hypos, quite simply because the NHS, which is supposed to be looking after you, won't pay for them. A meter will tell you how your body is reacting to different foods and is invaluable.

Reactions: rom35