Has anyone ever had a fasting insulin test on the NHS?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What was the fasting BG from the same sample of blood?

I didn't pay for that.. my own FBG was 5.7 at 8 am that morning.. I only had 2 mugs of hot water beforehand so would guess about 5.0 at 11.30 when they took the blood. Now you mention it I wish I had taken my test kit along with me... ******..opportunity missed.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Overall I have been very impressed with the level of service from Medichecks.
They have communicated well and been helpful when I couldn't get enough finger prick blood to fill their sample tube. They sent a new kit out which arrived next day. The e-mail confirming test results were ready came at 4.30 this afternoon after the blood sample being posted on Monday evening for a 5.15 pm collection from my local post box.So less than 48 hours between posting and results.

Reactions: Brunneria and zand

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I didn't pay for that.. my own FBG was 5.7 at 8 am that morning.. I only had 2 mugs of hot water beforehand so would guess about 5.0 at 11.30 when they took the blood. Now you mention it I wish I had taken my test kit along with me... ******..opportunity missed.

Shame as you need both numbers from a sample taken at the same time to feed into the software to work our insulin resistance. They should really do BG for free whenever they do an insulin level test along with doing the calcs based on both numbers.

Reactions: Fleegle

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Overall I have been very impressed with the level of service from Medichecks.
They have communicated well and been helpful when I couldn't get enough finger prick blood to fill their sample tube. They sent a new kit out which arrived next day. The e-mail confirming test results were ready came at 4.30 this afternoon after the blood sample being posted on Monday evening for a 5.15 pm collection from my local post box.So less than 48 hours between posting and results.
I have used Medichecks before and find them to be really helpful too. Think I might get an insulin one done as well now. My table usually looks like a butcher's shop when I have finished filling all those sample tubes myself. :nurse:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame as you need both numbers from a sample taken at the same time to feed into the software to work our insulin resistance. They should really do BG for free whenever they do an insulin level test along with doing the calcs based on both numbers.
Well even if i put in that morning's number I get 0.9 which is allegedly optimal.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used Medichecks before and find them to be really helpful too. Think I might get an insulin one done as well now. My table usually looks like a butcher's shop when I have finished filling all those sample tubes myself. :nurse:
Yeah it was kind of easier to have blood taken professionally.. although even they had to have 3 goes and get the Transylvanian phlebotomist in the end.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK the results are in.... trumpet blast...

Which I think is pretty normal.. I'm quite amazed...

Brilliant result bulkbiker, I'm so pleased for you. :)

Well even if i put in that morning's number I get 0.9 which is allegedly optimal.

They have been very helpful to you so far - could you phone them and ask if they could do the bg test from that same sample?(assuming there's some left and they haven't disposed of it yet, and assuming you really want to be bothered).

Do you know what software it is that calculates the insulin resistance, or is there a website ready-calc where you can just put your figures in

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result bulkbiker, I'm so pleased for you. :)

They have been very helpful to you so far - could you phone them and ask if they could do the bg test from that same sample?(assuming there's some left and they haven't disposed of it yet, and assuming you really want to be bothered).

Do you know what software it is that calculates the insulin resistance, or is there a website ready-calc where you can just put your figures in

I used this one...
http://www.thebloodcode.com/homa-ir-calculator/
I hope they will have got rid of the sample by now.. but can be fairly sure that my sugar levels were within the range I used.

Reactions: Salvia

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How often will you repeat the test to see if you are still on track as it will show problems a lot sooner than BG tests?

(triglycerides and liver function tests also seem to be very sensitive to insulin resistance, so can be used to forwarm)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How often will you repeat the test to see if you are still on track as it will show problems a lot sooner than BG tests?

(triglycerides and liver function tests also seem to be very sensitive to insulin resistance, so can be used to forwarm)
I hadn't really thought about repeats but maybe twice a year and try to coincide with HbA1c too.. also less blood letting that way!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BB, only just catching up with this thread - managed to 'lose' it somehow.

Awesome result! I would be over the moon with that - and I know mine would be nowhere near that lovely low figure.

Brilliant.
Thank you for being the guinea pig.
Am planning to do it myself, but need to get my head around the blood drawer thing.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi BB, only just catching up with this thread - managed to 'lose' it somehow.

Awesome result! I would be over the moon with that - and I know mine would be nowhere near that lovely low figure.

Brilliant.
Thank you for being the guinea pig.
Am planning to do it myself, but need to get my head around the blood drawer thing.

Hmm well I'm not going to get complacent after it and will prob try for another one in January when I get my next HbA1c blood draw done. I might try and sneak the test tube for medichecks into the surgery and see if the phlebotomist will fill it as she got blood out of me at first attempt last time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might try and sneak the test tube for medichecks into the surgery and see if the phlebotomist will fill it as she got blood out of me at first attempt last time.

I am thinking of doing the same when I have my next lot of tests. Will Medicheck accept this? Is it the finger prick test tube you are talking about?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am thinking of doing the same when I have my next lot of tests. Will Medicheck accept this? Is it the finger prick test tube you are talking about?
You can ask them for a proper vial for a regular blood sample just like the surgery use. They just send it to you through the post so you can get it filled anywhere. I'd just have to persuade the vampire at the surgery to fill it for me.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a bit surprised I must admit..does it mean I'm in remission?
I seriously doubt it.. but after my current weight loss experiment I might try some nasty carbs just to see...
:nailbiting:
Un-BEND, you mean?
:nailbiting: