Has Anyone Had a Good Experience of Metformin?

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am on 3 x 500g daily. The doctor started me on 2 a day to ease me in for a week. Initially I did have very smelly farts (frankly, was happy to pay my husband back for all those years!!!! ;) and sometimes loose bowels but it settled quite quickly. Again, not sure how much it actually helps my blood sugars but I had a very high reading at first so doctor didn't really give me an option!

No harm in giving it a try.

Reactions: 2 people

Pssssst60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Metformin for 8 years now & my sugar stays 300 +. Not 1 dr. has been able to bring my sugar down in 8 years. What is wrong with that picture ?

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I have been taking Metformin for about 17 years - since diagnosis, and have had no problems with side effects. When I got my bloods into normal figures, I suggested to my GP that I might stop taking it. She wanted me to remain on it because of its heart benefits. It is also under investigation for dealing with other health problems.

Cap'n M

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
EU27, CO2 Global Warming Scam, Theresa May, Comrade Boris Johnson.
I didn't have any problems starting on Metformin, although I take the SR form, as it costs our NHS only a little more than the standard tablets.
There is evidence that Metformin improves cardiovascular outcomes in Type-2. There is also evidence I've seen that its effectiveness in reducing BG is genetically linked. One could assume likewise for the adverse effects.
My side effects initially, in 2011, came from the Ramipril and later the Statin. I've seen some evidence that Statins negate the benefits of Metformin!

Reactions: 4 people

Grawill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 2 since 2004 and on metformin for most of that time with no side affects at all. I even had glimepiride added which triggered some hypo's on discovering Dr David Cavan book 2Reverse Your Diabetes2 I got rid of glimepiride and hypo's and hoping to eventually reduce metformin since I would rather not take anything at all, but do not expect that to happen.
My advice would be give metformin a fair chance without thinking yourself into problems. It works well for the silent majority otherwise it would not be the first choice prescription of so many GP's.
Remember, the knockers always shout loudest.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My advice would be give metformin a fair chance without thinking yourself into problems. It works well for the silent majority otherwise it would not be the first choice prescription of so many GP's.

I agree that it should be given a fair chance and this is my 'story' so far....

SR Metformin 500mg was presribed for me when I was diagnosed T2 in June this year. I took it in the morning and had an upset stomach from day 2. I stuck with it for 10 days and although symptoms inproved, I didn't feel entirely safe as the symptoms usually came on about 4 hours after taking it. So after trying without any medication -and not seeing a significant fall in BS, I made an appointment to see my GP and he prescribed a low dose of Sitagliptin - but I had various side effects -including palpitations in the night and my weight loss slowed right down. I saw the doc again a month later and he suggested that I should give Metformin another go. This time I read the leaflet (that came with the tablets ) more carefully - and was surprised to read that if taking one tablet - this should be taken in the evening with food. So that's what I've been doing for the past few weeks with no side effects at all.
I've also heard that Metformin offers the best protection against cardiovascular problems /stroke - so I'm sticking with it now, and pleased to see that weight loss has started again and BS levels continue to fall.

I hope that's encouraging!!

UbleyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When initially diagnosed, I was offered Metformin and politely declined. Since then I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver (a huge relief given some of the things I thought might be wrong with me). When I spoke to the consultant following the second diagnosis he said I should consider Metformin as it could have positive benefits for the fatty liver and Diabetes. He also suggested it would help with weight loss. He emphasised I should only consider this as my diet (LCHF) and exercise were already moving things in the right direction. But I did come away from that meeting with the Consultant thinking, perhaps I will give it a try.

Problem is searching through the forum there was no shortage of members with a poor experience with this drug.......anyone with a positive experience? Has it significantly altered your numbers? Do you think it has helped you lose weight? Or has it just had you farting like a trooper and afraid to stray too far from the bathroom :)

Hi, I was diagnosed seven months ago, and put on two metaformin a day plus a low carb diet, and more exercise. I am 68 years old. I had no bad side effects from the metaformin, I have lost two stone in weight, feel far more energetic and have halved my blood sugar readings. It is a no brainier for me. Give it a try.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I have been on Metformin for 8 years now & my sugar stays 300 +. Not 1 dr. has been able to bring my sugar down in 8 years. What is wrong with that picture ?
If you would like to start a new thread we may be able to help you figure out what to do. A doctor should be doing further tests when someone's blood sugar is high for a long time.

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you read the book 'The Diabetes Miracle' by Diane Kress - I've learnt so much from this book (I was eating too much fruit) and am hoping that as I follow the different stages that my BS will come down even more.

I'm sure that other more experienced people on the forum will have some other helpful sugestions for you.

brianmockford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When initially diagnosed, I was offered Metformin and politely declined. Since then I have been diagnosed with a fatty liver (a huge relief given some of the things I thought might be wrong with me). When I spoke to the consultant following the second diagnosis he said I should consider Metformin as it could have positive benefits for the fatty liver and Diabetes. He also suggested it would help with weight loss. He emphasised I should only consider this as my diet (LCHF) and exercise were already moving things in the right direction. But I did come away from that meeting with the Consultant thinking, perhaps I will give it a try.

Problem is searching through the forum there was no shortage of members with a poor experience with this drug.......anyone with a positive experience? Has it significantly altered your numbers? Do you think it has helped you lose weight? Or has it just had you farting like a trooper and afraid to stray too far from the bathroom :)

I have been taking Metformin for a bout 5 years, because the Dr recommended it.
If ever I get concerned about possible side effects, I think about the eventual effects of uncontrolled diabetes. -- Blindness, Amputations-- It helps me see things clearly. Twice a year I have a blood test to check the Hba1c marker. Mine is about 40%, down from 55% when I started.
So - a bit of exercise, no sugar in my tea, keep an eye on the carbs, and metformin for me.

Bodyshaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets, water and the exercise bike!

Hi there, I was initially diagnosed in the last 3 months with high blood pressure (180+/108) then came the type 2 diabetes and Atrial Fibrillation. I am taking Metformin (500mg am and pm) amongst other prescribed drugs and can honestly say that I have had NO side affects whatever. I was reluctant at first but gave way to my GP eventually. I'm still resisting statins though. Good luck.

Bodyshaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diets, water and the exercise bike!
Hi there, I was initially diagnosed in the last 3 months with high blood pressure (180+/108) then came the type 2 diabetes and Atrial Fibrillation. I am taking Metformin (500mg am and pm) amongst other prescribed drugs and can honestly say that I have had NO side affects whatever. I was reluctant at first but gave way to my GP eventually. I'm still resisting statins though. Good luck.

granddad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

I have been on metformen
955, member: 186079"]I was prescribed Metformin on initial diagnosis and started taking one per day at the same time I started LCHF.

The Metformin was increased over a period of weeks to 4 per day.

I believe it was pretty clear from the graphs of my test results that each increase in dosage helped, so I would say, yes, it helped me.

I am on the normal version, not the SR, and yes, I have had a couple of unfortunate incidents when I have overdone the carbs too, but on balance I am happy to take it.

Having said that, some 15 months later, I now feel I have sufficient control to try lowering the dose but I will continue to test daily to make sure don't start to go the wrong way again.

HTH

Tim[/QUOTE]
Having been on metformen

granddad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

I have been on metformen
955, member: 186079"]I was prescribed Metformin on initial diagnosis and started taking one per day at the same time I started LCHF.

I believe it was pretty clear from the graphs of my test results that each increase in dosage helped, so I would say, yes, it helped me.

I am on the normal version, not the SR, and yes, I have had a couple of unfortunate incidents when I have overdone the carbs too, but on balance I am happy to take it.

Having said that, some 15 months later, I now feel I have sufficient control to try lowering the dose but I will continue to test daily to make sure don't start to go the wrong way again.

HTH

Tim[/QUOTE]
Having been on metformen

granddad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
been on metformen

HTH

Tim[/QUOTE]
Having been on metformen[/QUOTE]
For some 20+ years not had any trouble apart from wind blood sugar was in the last year up and Down so my consultant has put me on laraglutide med name Victoza once a day injection I'm still on metformin but the results have been very good vs now down to 5.5 from 12/14 and have lost weight with it so if your vs is erratic mention Victoza to him you

Tirianne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was interested to read that you're resisting Statins - is this because of the atrial fibrilation? I was told yesteday that all T2 diiabetics will end up on Statins eventually........ not sure about this. I might start a new thread to see if it's true!!

nolly53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on 2 x 500g with breakfast and 2 x 500g at teatime for probably 10 years. I am also on insulin. Apart from a "metallic" taste I am not aware of side effects. However, when I forget to take it, I notice a significant difference in my bg readings.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am taking 2g metformin daily. Initially I was taking the 'normal' type (not slow release) and had a lot of gastric side effects. Thanks to the information I had read on here, I went back to my GP and asked for the slow release version. Since then I've had no problems at all. Fortunately I don't even have any windy explosions (well no more than I normally would anyway!).
Not sure how its affecting my BG as I started on a low carb diet at more or less the same time so its difficult to judge. All I know is my BG was awful when I was first diagnosed and now is pretty reasonable.

Dixiechick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I've been on metformin for 2 years. Initially the side effects were horrendous, but it did pass after about 3 months, and now I don't notice any side effects. However, I do take 500mg 4x daily, instead of 2x500mg 2x daily.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to all who took time to reply. I have made massive changes to my diet and exercise regime and seen my mmol// figures fall from in the 9 - 12 range to 4 - 8 range. I have lost 7kg in 6 weeks. Carbs are my new enemy. However, the more I read about Metformin the more convinced I am that I have little to lose in giving it a try. The research showing the possible benefits towards prevention of heart disease and cancer wasn't something I was unaware off.

Last edited by a moderator: