Has Anyone Heard Of Gaba For Helping Kidney Function?

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
12 years ago I was on the kidney transplant list because my kidney function was so bad.. My consultant persuaded me that the transplant was a huge thing and I should leave it til my last resort and I was seeing better results coz of tablets they had put me on (but it could not improve my function only keep it where it was at if I could control my blood sugars which have always been erratic). The tablets they put me on I was eventually taken off but had apparently proved to do more damage in recent years.

About 6 years ago I started swelling in my face really badly in the morning and it would not have gone away completely before I went to bed at night. When the problems with my kidneys started I would swell and on some days it would be worse but over past few months it was every day getting worse and worse.. I had this amino acid in my cupboard which I hadn't taken for a while but when I googled gaba and kidneys (I was desperate and hunting for anything) I read an article about how they gave rats with kidney damage gaba and the ones that had been given gaba had normal kidney function within 10 days and within 60 days they had 'improved' kidney function! So I started taking the gaba (about 3 teaspoons as I go to bed at night and it gets me to sleep whereas normally i suffer really badly with insomnia) and now when I ask how my kidneys are doing they just say they're 'normal' and move on.

I swear by the stuff.. without it I won't sleep but it is the only thing that could have actualy improved my kidney function and there are articles backing up the effect that GABA has on kidneys:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17132215/

I buy mine off ebay (search gaba powder) and it costs about 45£ for 1000g.. I don't sell it honestly though you'd think I had shares somewhere.. its just something I fell upon and has been so beneficial to me..

Gahuti

So 3 teaspoons at night. Amazing story. Do you have GFR results for before and after taking the GABA? When they say normal what does that mean? You went from late stage renal failure to completely normal GFR values?

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePenguinPimp

ThePenguinPimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The results are there somewhere.. I've never asked for them but thinking about it it must have been 13 or 14 years ago and I've lived in several different parts of the country so not sure how well my medical records will have travelled or been logged into the system. They said something about my kidney function or result being 70 last time I was at hospital. Sorry btw only just seen this reply.. I am at hospital in next week so will try and get more info.