Has anyone quit dairy and noticed improvements?

M

Member496333

Being so preoccupied with the T2D prevention methods, etc...it was only someone else stating how LC had impacted/reduced other illnesses & symptoms, inc asthma, that i reflected that mine had all but disappeared.

Add hayfever to that list. Gone after 40+ years. Not a single sniffle.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I have very little milk in any form since going low-carb, because of the lactose content which can affect carb content and secondly because of intolerance.
I am intolerant of A1 protein which i gather is present in many dairy products in UK, Oz, NZ and Canada. I suffer nasal congestion about 24 to 48 hours after accidental ingestion. My elder two daughters have a similar intolerance.
A2 milk has been introduced and i have no symptoms to that - but there appear to no cheese in that form yet.
I have twins who both reacted to cow's milk formulas with an instant rash, which is classed as an allergy rather than intolerance. One also reacts to soy milk.
People may suffer from lactose intolerance, where they suffer tummy upsets beyond a certain amount of lactose ingested.
My favourite dairy products? Goat's cheese. I still count 50% of the protein content as carbs so that does limit my intake to a ( usually) moderate level!

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Could always give it a go....:)

But having asthma since 11...i found the best benefits was the LCHF diet i've used since DX of T2D.
which means oddly i have INCREASED my dairy..
(supposedly an asthma contributor due to creation of mucous )

Yet my symptoms have abated so much, i now rarely consider the asthma and it's only when i'm triggered (up close and cuddling any cats..cat hair now, sadly..or rather the saliva they clean their coats with apparently :***: )
Still continue with the preventer daily, but not had any symptoms otherwise since last oct.

Being so preoccupied with the T2D prevention methods, etc...it was only someone else stating how LC had impacted/reduced other illnesses & symptoms, inc asthma, that i reflected that mine had all but disappeared.
Good to know it had the opposite effect. Maybe I don't need to quit afterall..

Reactions: jjraak

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting that cheese gave you migraines before low carbing and now it doesn't. My father also complained of cheese giving him migraines. I'm not sure if dairy is affecting me or not. I love it so I could be over-consuming it.
It was just the blue cheese for me, I had no problem with any ll other types.

I think different people can have different (food) triggers - I never had any issue with oranges, but a friend's son reacted badly to them - he was a rugby player and used to get migraines at half time, and it turned out to be caused by the slices of orange they got then!

Robbity

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
It was just the blue cheese for me, I had no problem with any ll other types.

I think different people can have different (food) triggers - I never had any issue with oranges, but a friend's son reacted badly to them - he was a rugby player and used to get migraines at half time, and it turned out to be caused by the slices of orange they got then!

Robbity
It's all a bit of a puzzle working out food intolerances, isn't it? It only took me about 20 years to work out that porridge (oats) was one of my major triggers for heartburn. Finally stopped eating it during my last pregnancy when it became a most obvious cause of evil heartburn while pregnant. Now I wouldn't want to eat it for its blood sugar spike anyway.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
I too have found my lifelong asthma has vastly improved since I went HFLC even though I'm now eating a lot more cheese and cream. And my erratic heart beat and irritable bowel are vastly better too. I've no intention of reducing my dairy intake.

Genevieve1

Could always give it a go....:)

But having asthma since 11...i found the best benefits was the LCHF diet i've used since DX of T2D.
which means oddly i have INCREASED my dairy..
(supposedly an asthma contributor due to creation of mucous )

Yet my symptoms have abated so much, i now rarely consider the asthma and it's only when i'm triggered (up close and cuddling any cats..cat hair now, sadly..or rather the saliva they clean their coats with apparently :***: )
Still continue with the preventer daily, but not had any symptoms otherwise since last oct.

I have increased my dairy intake in favour of all the sweet stuff I used to like, so more butter, cheese and yogurt. I have asthma (at times I have been hospitalised). I am following a low carb diet, I am losing weight since my diagnosis in February and feeling much better than I have in a long time, no noticeable change to either my asthma or eczema.

Cruzeli1

I quit dairy and I did notice a change. My blood sugars have been better. I used to have milk with my cold or hot cereal in the morning then right after, my sugars were elevated. I also noticed weight loss.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have found my lifelong asthma has vastly improved since I went HFLC even though I'm now eating a lot more cheese and cream. And my erratic heart beat and irritable bowel are vastly better too. I've no intention of reducing my dairy intake.
Sounds like low carb is far more effective than avoiding dairy. I was affected by thunderstorm asthma a couple of years ago and suffer pretty badly during spring since moving to this south eastern part of Australia. Will be interesting to see if it'sbetter this spring if I stay low carb.

Reactions: jjraak

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interesting, my brother followed my way of eating LCHF and still had some asthma problems. He then totally eliminated the dairy products from his diet and that solved the asthma problem completely.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd say being lactose intolerant, before it got worse I was drinking milk as a kid and young teenager. But since cutting it out, my skin has improved - almond milk for vitamin E :) and my BG is less affected by it due to lack of lactose.

Reactions: Cocosilk and jjraak

Lowcarb 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering, on your journey to better health, whether you have tried quitting dairy products (along with reducing carbs) and how long did you quit for; did you reintroduce dairy; and what differences did you notice for your health?
I changed to soya products some 15 years ago due to intolerance have only been diabetic 2.5 years still managed to lose weight and keep it off cannot say how a change might affect you

Reactions: Cocosilk

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting, my brother followed my way of eating LCHF and still had some asthma problems. He then totally eliminated the dairy products from his diet and that solved the asthma problem completely.
That's what I'm wondering. I already find goat's milk easier to drink than cow's milk. Just have to work out what I'll eat instead when I'm already cutting carbs. I eat a lot of dairy at the moment and wouldn't have soy or other "milks" because of what I've read about seed oils.