Has anyone seen or used the new iPhone add on

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Edited: to say that it's available in Boots. I didn't think it was available yet!

Looks really snazzy doesn't it. Alas I'm in a two year contract on a non iphone... :cry:

lauren_gee_x

I've looked on boots site and it doesn't seem to be available do you have a link for it. Im the same but hopefully should be able to get a cheap second hand iPhone from somewhere :)xx

tommyj

Finally got mine in the post today. First impressions are that it is ridiculously small! It is loaded with features, but I'm not going to start using it until I have been guaranteed by my local pharmacist that they will be supplying Sanofi strips, as well as the fact I have a couple of boxes of Bayer strips to get through, wouldn't want to cost the NHS more than I already am.

Good features from what I can see are that you can add glucose/carbs/insulin/notes for each reading, these readings can then be compiled in a simple email feature which summarises my results - my DSN is always giving off to me for not sending in my results regularly so I'm sure she will be delighted. But the big plus really has to be the size - it is just over an inch wide, about 1cm deep and just over 1cm wide - pretty amazing.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had one for the last couple of weeks. You can get the BG Star test strips from Boots, but they tend to order them in for next day as they probably don't have enough demand yet to keep them in stock. My GP was OK with prescribing them as I am Type 1.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I've had mine for about a week now and I love it, as has already been said the meter is really small, and the case is small enough to fit in an over crowded bag. I love the app, you just open it plug the meter in, put in the strip and you get your result, I love the way it stores the result,pre or post meal, carbs and doseage. It's then saved, you can either look at the data log or graph view. But one of the best things is it can be used as a stand alone meter, so you don't need an IPhone if you haven't got one.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The web site report seemed a bit biased IMHO.

It claims to be better, more accurate, less painful............

However there isn't any evidence that it is - it just seems to be a glucose meter with a test strip which integrates with an iPhone.
Where are the comparisons which prove it is more accurate and less painful than other leading lancet devices and BG meters?
We don't even see the lancet device.

Good in that you have immediate access to history and the ability to annotate as soon as you have a reading wherever you are, however you can get most of the functionality with a meter which has a USB connection coupled with a PC software package.

I would be more impressed if the puff for it maximised the benefits of the iPhone integration instead of trying to put down other meters.

So - those of you have used it - is it better, more accurate, less painful than anything else you have used?
Or is it just really convenient because you can process the results immediately when you are away from your PC?

Cheers

LGC

Grantisimo

I'm expecting my delivery this week but have been using the software (App) for more than 2 month now.
It's awesome App and I have given some ideas to improve the software.
Why haven't I use the GStar yet? Because I'm using the Accu Check Mobile since this year and I'm disappointed with the results.
Three measurement in the morning from 8.8 to 6.7 is just too ridiculous. That's not an accurate Medical instrument at all.
This occurs several days. Before I was using the old strips system on the Accu Check Compaq which I'm happy with but the thing is too big.

Now waiting for the smallest and very good software from BGstar. Will use side by side with Accu Check Mobile for a month to compare.
I wonder if the strips are free in the UK for Diabetic 2 ? I think they should, as prevention and all over the world.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I like the app and the meter, because they link together and in the data log you get a graph, which you used to be able to get in some old paper log books, but finding record books is very hard, with those in now from what I've found. But on this app you get either the log book and it fills in the bg result and you put insulin and carbs in , plus other bits. The meter itself is very small, the finger pricking device is very basic, it only goes up in depths of 2, so I've put that as a spare and I'm using the Accu Check softclix which fits in the case. I found the information can look quite small on an Iphone screen, but you can enlarge it, but I have installed the app on my Ipad and am about to start using that as it will give a clearer veiw of results. Looked in my local Boots on Fri and found they had the machine on the shelf, I ordered mine on line, so might get one to keep in the car as I'm out a lot. But I did not see the strips or lancets on the shelf next to it, unlike the Accu Check machines. I wouldn't know if you have to buy the strips being type2, as I'm a type1, but I'm just about to put my first script in. Might be an idea if you spoke to either the person at your surgery who doe's the prescription's or speak to your chemist where you collect your prescriptions, I've always found both of the people that process my requests or my chemist, to be very helpful.

lauren_gee_x

Hi, just seen the replies. I'm getting a new iPhone and the machine r my birthday so shall post how I feel about it once I us it. I've never had a problem with getting prescriptions from my gp or pharmacy xx

steveosiris

Sanober said:
Edited: to say that it's available in Boots. I didn't think it was available yet!

Looks really snazzy doesn't it. Alas I'm in a two year contract on a non iphone... :cry:
You should try to get out of your contract, because the iphone app is glorious.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My charger just broke for the iphone meter. Looked at strip box to see they have 24hr helpline, didn't expect it to be open but it was explained to customer service, got told might get another cable with charger. Customer service woman, not english but listened and repeated what was needed and where it was to be sent, told 2-3 working days for new one, can't fault it.

kathyfardell

Got mine on day oe, it's small, compact and I love it.... That is until I changed to iPhone 5 !
I have had to buy te adaptor now, and I don't get free strips, I wish lol

mofofunk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Finger prickers for BG testing & having to self inject - NEEDLES in general!
Is there one for the Galaxy S2?

Thanks

Ash

Andy530

I had one it was good easy to use small looked great until I dropped it it burst open just like when you drop your phone except it wouldn't go back together as the data strip inside came away from the circuit board I now have the accu chek mobile blood glucose system it is cheaper and works just as good if not better and you don't need iPhone

cavs

If anyone is interested in one of these I have one that I am no longer using.
I bought it as I thought it was a great gadget but sadly I cannot use it at work (not allowed my phone at work) so I don't get the full use of the BGstar App on the iphone.
I only used it for a couple of weeks so it is as new with box, unused lancet device, charger etc but no strips.

If anyone is interested in it drop me a PM and we can sort something out. :wink:

Townsend

IBG star iPhone blood tester great small tester and app you can get it from boots you can get VAT off the price it was not easy had to ask to see main man but it worked they gave be a £5 voucher plus VAT cost £34 RRP£48