Has anyone taken a T1 child camping?

SusieT

We want to go camping as a family but I'm a little concerned how it may affect DD. We will only be going for weekends away and definitely nowhere too remote. I'll have all the gear I need with me and she will be plenty warm etc so I'm not really sure what I'm fretting about. Probably as it's another 'first' thing we'll have done since she was diagnosed so something else to stress about. Anyone have any experience camping with T1 and am I being ridiculous by worrying? Thanks.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I can't say I'm one for camping as any time I have been there has been a cyclone or some other weather event that makes the time horrible. As for going camping with my DS I wouldn't actually be worried about his blood sugar but more about him wandering off. Go camping and make the first time not too far from either home or good city facilities so you build some confidence. I am a great believer in making decisions of what to do as a family first and then working out how to make diabetes fit in. A bit of planning and lots of supplies and you can do just about anything. We have lots of weekends away and going to visit relatives etc... and have never had a problem, except the odd low from extra activity but we get that at home sometimes too.

I think the general rule is to take at least twice as much as what you think you will need. I always take away a spare meter, spare insulin (or the scripts if in a town) even if I don't need to use them.

You are not being ridiculous, worrying is normal with new situations.

leggott

Yes, I took my 6 year old at the start of the holidays. I went with another friend and her son who is a 9. The campsite was all in closed and they had a park where there were lots of other children playing. I gave my son a mobile phone so he could call me and I let him go off and play for 2 hours at a time with his friends and then went and did a blood check. He was never far away from me and often my friend and I would walk or cycle round the campsite just to check up on him. He had his blood monitor and glucose tablets in a bum bag at all times. I would give him a cereal bar a short time after breakfast which seemed to keep his levels stable. I also took weighing scales and measuring jugs so I could carb count his food fairly accurately. My son is on a pump so I am able to lower background insulin if he is running around a lot and over the weekend I did manage good control.

I guess it's a case of striking a happy balance between letting them lead a normal childhood whilst factoring in their medical requirements. I did of course worry when my son was not in my care, but we survived the weekend and he had a fantastic time.

SusieT

Thank you both for your replies. I really want her to have a normal childhood and not for her to worry about her diabetes. I kind of feel that's my job while she's so young (5). I do struggle a bit sometimes but I've decided that if I'd let her do something if she didn't have diabetes, I should let her do it now as long as sensible measures are taken.

On a completely different note Leggott I see your son is using an Omnipod? Can I ask how you/he get on with it please? My daughter is on MDI at the moment but I really feel the way forward would be a pump as no matter how hard I try her HbA1C never seems to be under 8.

leggott

Hi Susie, Yes, I struggle as well and some days I find it all so consuming. Like you, I think that if they weren't diabetic would I let them do it and I take it from there.

We moved to the pump as we had such erratic overnight control. We are still having problems but not to the extent we did have and on the pump correcting is so much easier. It does take a lot of the hassle away, but at the start it is very hard and had many nights which we tested my son hourly to fine tune the basal.

Now, I would never go back to MDI and have been so pleased with our pump that we are now getting my daughter one. My suggestion would be to speak with your DSN and hopefully you can trial some pumps to see which one you prefer. Both my husband and I wore the omnipod so we could understand how it felt to wear the pods and also sleep with them. With children so young they often can't express how something affects them, so we wore one to really understand how it felt.

If you need any specific info about the Omnipod then please feel free to PM me.

SusieT

Thank you so much Leggott, my main concern is night time too. We get really good readings during the day but I just can't seem to get it right during the night. Will speak to DSN, we're seeing her shortly anyway. Thanks again.

serankine

We took my 5 year old camping and she really enjoyed it. Leah did have a lot of hypos just through playoing with the other children, but easily came back up after her Gluco Tabs. She now wants to go again,
Hope you have a good time.

We have just taken up camping - our 13 year old T1 daughter is a born camper! She loves it and goes with guides/church and us. TBH, your daughter will enjoy the freedom of running around and getting lots of fresh air. Our biggest issue was swimming. My kids and I are waterbabies and we spent a lot of time in the pool. My daughter went swimming one day without me and I went to check on her. I'm glad I did because she was severely hypo. She signed in and put "diabetic" by her name. The lifeguard wasn't amused when she ripped open a can of coke poolside, while I explained what was going on. He did apologise later when he read the sign in book again. We took spare insulin ampoules with us and put them in the cool box - we had electric hook up so we had a kind of portable fridge. My girl is on pens and will happily whip 'em out and inject herself, regardless of the stares.

HTH

The Unicorn Lady
Daughter age 13, diagnosed T1@10.
Son age 6, on the autistic spectrum, possibly Aspergers, possibly Higher functioning - the pro's aren't really quite sure.

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Diabetes, Sometimes Parents, Homework
Hi, I'm T1 and 13
I love going camping with my family, if at electric hook up insulin stays in fridge if not ciggerette lighter coolbox. I also go camping with guides as well (have to watch sugars cause of hiking!) But there's definitely no reason not to go.
Happy Camping :)

head_stock

I'm taking my 1 month diagnosed T1 son (9 yrs) on a cub camp (I am a cub leader) at the start of September. In truth I don't think it is that much of a big deal, I'll be keeping a close eye on the possibility of him going a bit hypo due to the exercise and excitement and making sure that he eats regularly and I'll be keeping some glucose gell packs close to hand.... but apart from that and of course makeing sure he has his injections at the right time it's business at usual.
I don't mean to make light of your concerns but you will be with your son/daughter all the time so as I said hopefully you will be able to manage any changes caused by the excitement/exercise fairly easily.
Hope this helps :)

rachelsnj

I have just signed up for the forums. My daughter was diagnosed T1 18 months ago at age 7 and 3 weeks later we had our first camping trip. The only problem we had that time was having no electric hookup and therefore no where to keep her Lantus and spare Novorapid which was a right pain. so the second trip we made sure we had a FRIO pack which was fantastic and made things much easier especially when on a hot beach. I make sure she has a torch next to her when she sleeps and also all her supplies so we can easily find them in the dark.

elainechi

frio packs and jelly babies are all you need when camping for a week and a sense of humour of course when putting up the tent

mum to jane 12 T1 dx sept10 novarapid and levemir