1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Has anyone tried the new-ish Mio 30's...?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by -Artemis-, Oct 9, 2016.

1. -Artemis-

-Artemis- Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I've been using the sure t steel sets for over a year and ordinarily love them - but I can only use them in my tummy (other places the steel needle hurts) and I'm now pregnant - so considering other set options as my bump grows...

-- one of the reasons I love the sure t's is because when I tried the 90 degree standard mio's, I found they hurt - and would have a tendency to block if I rolled onto them. I never experienced that with the sure t's.

I did try the silhouettes but found insertion so traumatic (as in to my skin - almost every time I tried them they would bleed and I'd have horrendous bruises), that I really only tried them a handful of times.

I've heard the new mio 30's are much gentler - but I guess cos my only real experience with teflon sets was the original 90 degree sets, then I'm a bit worried about site blockages - especially whilst it's even more important now I'm pregnant to keep my numbers as level as possible (not always possible!!).

Any thoughts/feedback gratefully received :)

2. purleypete

purleypete Type 1 · Member

I've been on them since they came out and like them a lot. I use them on my thighs where it is a bit leaner as I wanted to give my stomach a break from nearly 30 years of syringes, pens and infusion sets.

I've found they have a slightly higher failure rate than the standard mios and have had a few that have got caught and partially detached so needed to be replaced. The insertion procedure is a bit more complicated than mios but easy to get used to.

3. -Artemis-

Thanks @purleypete for your reply - really useful to know. When you say you've had more failures than standard Mio's, what generally causes the failures?

And how quickly do you know...?

Thanks again

4. purleypete

purleypete Type 1 · Member

The failures are blockage more than anything else. Looking back on over BG results, I would say it happens once or twice a month. I use CGM so am aware of unusual trends fairly quickly.

5. -Artemis-

Ah okay - thank you

6. Spicey245

Spicey245 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use them and they are FAB! I've been on them for a year now and never had any issues (so far anyway!). They rarely hurt when I put them in, in fact sometimes I don't feel a thing! :)

7. tigger

tigger Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@-Artemis- did you use silhouettes with the silserter or by themselves? I find them fine by themselves but can't do it with the inserter. Also I find that numbing the area with ice first works well. Good luck.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook