Has anyone tried this black bean chocolate cake recipe?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I do a lot of low carb cooking in general (well obviously because that's what I eat), but up until now not much baking. I've seen recipes for things like this before, but never really bother to make them. Until yesterday that is. :)

It sounds really weird in a cake, because I usually associate black beans with spicy Mexican food, but it really tastes as good as it looks. Will definitely do this one again some time.

mywfKnIkqplsifZ4f-SIDu6HIhTtYOeDDuSOZ52h_8o9QevCjZQi3IBCK1QMTs81HbVgvNy8epIB0b5fcTrAFvhc-BD7kTEDU8X2oEYDAQsKQ_3fAOq6fV2u9cFUlfWyc2uMjekivyTk6BQGEheXyx136LhIafXBCX7J-MWC7OFssbHQve3hDsQNFg-QAAV_ePuYx9bsQo6jpDUzl9WBVwFOUG2AN2gNb3pdhYhoDqU2kjFGb5zOMiWtwAnndRZxxAYt8fNI0myVPAqJXbU0SMtAWfT2hxyFyngvUP8JW7T8iqYZYNInPbuIR69QuaOrD-Q6axi21RLcHxSBnrD_hMWcEm_XGBQ1xoNxetwOG0p-tCbZQg5xqj7Ajkg8c8-r59lP5CSrQ7xVyffrwiAwHYRHCTPih8FyGJzpq3VE4XxgyWjTokMjvXqjqLQptVUy3I7KyOjQu8ihh10XS4KDNmV1ndkmugbBZk2XSFA4XVwYZRwJMDFCxRK-YgOYYGTmxAr3gVhU8VMpuggMYs_O6Ld3NqeH6K8NFYjEIpPDJDYGyNCoZHNggKXj7AhFycQ-2RKgv4E_lEEhylTF_Tz3isbXmmwO0OcQWcEObw=w1200-h774-no

vF_S13_kHBm8HVn6HVpz4XglH2ARZCz2XA6CQS2ZCebFwQaA3Pp6f3fQj3PvsDkOjxtUd1ZtJ3wm4fSYS9IGKTW_PxjtpjFC1D1Ud75yjRwW14WrmaO_NdXUJUVxXp8lWVsPMpm-PWTgpL2JJq1x9gTZ6xh47whlYGUapG0TSXOg2t5p-bw4OvJ1u_ZNedFjL7PGh8vFtLVLWovN4OXvPbNc98EcVkSogoqfdNQUYGoW1p7kqlD0TwxwBLy7Cjbpy8k0hrSW8V9YYvjrfkhxHvHf0jY3P3kUdqjxq5fpIqdwGk-ibIu8InR8AJuB2q3BYLEqknbjK0jKsmWL4vASoEZCsS7K3SSNwHwNmNfkaXGvp6C36lkp91WBgNYxvL9xT10Uw320eab_ecJWFrA7W065NZDC9UNN-T6Ps2BOWABeqz2VRcwI3csdAelZ7IpbI-zxsnMIewvEYq1qj1XBWa-3y8xgoSc5LmV8dfsL4jWh9zQfX76zSjl-KbtU2JQjVqRlpcwIRJAqBYJ5zjyo2EV_jkRgwDlDJzuT9ojMuKj7-ujzovGFDNxnGJh5MvUDBEyQvXfUv7EfPsv4qC-vs0tTq51bTyZDW92Kqn2IXw73IGYN-s788-c_rTV4PsE=w704-h935-no

Sorry that my recipe is a bit imprecise as I was kind of "winging" it with this one, though loosely it was based the three recipes linked below (but scaled to a 4 large egg quantity).

My recipe was something like:
- About 220g of cooked black beans (I boiled them, but you can use tinned ones).
- 3 heaped tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder.
- 4 large eggs
- one tablespoon spoon vanilla extract.
- zest from one large orange.
- one tablespoon honey (can replace with sweetener)
- one tablespoon of erythritol natural sweetener or similar (I used an erythritol stevia combination sweetener, but it's mostly erthritol)
- Two large tablespoons of coconut oil and similarly two of butter.
- one heaped teaspoon baking powder
- half a teaspoon of salt
- optionally one or two spoons of the black bean liquid if you need to adjust the consistency (I used about a tablespoon)

- Method as per the recipes linked below

- Filling was just fresh cream, with a dash of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of honey. Again, replace that with touch of sweetener if you need to (or omit altogether).

My version was not overly sweet (that's how I like it), so you can scale up the sweetener a bit if you feel you need to. My wife (non diabetic) really loved this, though she just added a small dusting of icing sugar to her portion to make it perfect for her tastes.

For some reason this cake tastes better after sitting in the fridge overnight, that's if you can hold back from eating it all straight away. :)

Based loosely on these recipes.
http://atastylovestory.com/the-famous-brilliant-black-bean-chocolate-cake/
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/black-bean-chocolate-cake-516662
https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/re...colate-cake-with-buttercream-frosting-2694588

Last edited:

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
what were after effects of all those beans?
What effects are we talking about here. BGLs or bowel movements?

As far as not spiking BGL goes, black beans are usually ok for me. Even more so when they are cooked and then cooled overnight like this, as it convert a lot of the available carbs into "resistant starch", which is very slow to be absorbed compared to regular starch like in bread etc. The high fat/fibre content also helps.

As for the other one, yeah you could be running to the toilet if you're not used to beans and you eat too much. In moderation most people should be ok with it. This is a low carb cake, but moderately high in protein, fibre and fat. It's certainly nutrient dense, but also quite filling. :)