Hashimoto's Disease

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
After having problems for the last few weeks in accessing my GP surgery's online services including medical test results, I finally got it sorted out and regained access yesterday.

Previously my test results had only been shown from 2012. Now there seems to be a bit more including some test results from 2008.
Most of the 2008 test readings were in the 'normal' range. But the TPO Antibodies showed a reading of 339 kU/L. This was marked as 'abnormal' and the normal range is shown as 0 - 15 kU/L so it seem really high.
Nothing was said to me about this at the time.

I didn't know what this means so I used Dr Google which says that high TPO Antibodies indicate an autoimmune disorder, usually Hashimoto's disease or Grave's disease, which means a greater possibility of becoming diabetic.
It seems to me that it would probably be Hashimoto's disease as I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism four years later in 2012.
I was prescribed 100 micrograms of Levothyroxene daily, and since then my tsh levels are in the 'normal' range.
Nothing is shown in the tests since 2012 about TPO antibodies.

So does this mean I am always more likely to be in the pre-diabetic or diabetic range if I have an autoimmune disorder?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely unforgivable that the doctors didn't advise you of this information at the time. I hope you lodge a very strong protest with them about the negligence.

On the subject of autoimmune thyroid disease, I'd suggest you look into the work of Dr Amy Myers who is a sufferer herself as well as making it the focus of her medical practice.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Prem51
I have Hashimotos and I paid for a private blood test which showed that my thyroid does not convert T4 to T3. So I have to buy T3 privately.