Have I got an ulcerated leg?

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I suffer from a very sensitive skin which itches a lot from time to time. I do use moisterisers frequently but obviously it doesn't cure the situation. Also have the Aqueous cream that I use instead of soap. Unfortunately I had one of those incidents when I really wanted to get to sleep but had a persistent itch just above my ankle. Losing patience with it I gave one almighty scratch and felt a layer of skin come off. That was over two weeks ago and I tried everything to get it to heal - swabbing it and applying savlon cream, then trying leaving it to dry out but it just got more and more painful. Went to the doctors on Friday who prescribed some antibiotic cream and sent me to the nurse to have it dressed properly. BUT, it's still soo painful. I don't have to go back till Wednesday to have it dressed again. Really worried it may be an ulcer forming although the doctor didn't seem to think so - (but don't trust him all the time!)
Would be glad to hear from anyone elses experiences.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My T1 husband has had a couple of ulcers. they were very reluctant to heal up. One strategy that helps is to keep your BG TIGHT( around 5) at all times. Also the nurse who dresses it will know if it's an ulcer. Ask . If it is, and your circulation is Ok( get nurses to check this) a pressure bandage, or even a flight sock can help. Definitely discuss this with nurses. They know a lot about wound care.
It's not unknown for an ulcer to take upwards of a year to heal. They've even used maggots in some cases to debride the wound.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

Hi foxglove,
It may be that your skin has become thinner due to aging. This is something that happens to all of us due to the aging process. My mum, (a non diabetic) had problems similar to yours but they were not ulcers. If she knocked herself she always ended up with a large bruise and her skin tore easily. Be guided by the nurse at your next appointment and discuss your concerns with her.

There is a posh name for this, Actinic elasotosis. :lol: :lol:
Have a read of this article and see if you can relate to any of it,

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/healthinfo/a/agingskin.htm

Catherine.