1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HAVE I STRUCK GOLD WITH THIS PEANUT BUTTER?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Marsha, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Marsha

Marsha Type 2 · Newbie

Because I had a little time on my hands I decided to check out nutritional values of a few peanut butters'. I came across the Tesco Everyday Value crunchy peanut butter that contains 5.6g of carbs per 100g. Does this seem right to you... it seems awfully low to me.

• Like Like x 7
    #1 Marsha, Sep 15, 2015 at 5:46 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  2. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I got a jumbo jar of it recently with 5.4g carbs. I couldn't find my usual Whole Earth one. So yes, it seems fine and quite a lot cheaper. But not organic of course.

• Like Like x 2
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I think there is a possibility that Tesco labels are a bit misleading.

Having looked at the website, I notice they don't say "of which sugars" like Sunpat do. So you "may" have to add the sugar value and the carb value to get to the true value. (8.9g per 100g - just guessing, still lower than Sunpat though.) Also it seems to be a bit fattier, which some people might prefer?

Tesco everyday....
    upload_2015-9-15_18-10-27.png

Sunpat.....

upload_2015-9-15_18-11-44.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. Barry Holt

Barry Holt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The other half has a jar of Sun Pat crunchy butter and just checked out of curiosity and that is 15.1 g of carbs per 100 g big difference

• Like Like x 4
  5. Marsha

Marsha Type 2 · Newbie

Lower carb and cheap...I can live with that!

6. Marsha

Marsha Type 2 · Newbie

On the actual jar of the Everyday value peanut butter it lists carbs as 5.6g per 100g of which sugars 3.6. It does seem a bit fattier so perhaps that's why I like the taste... and it doesn't seem to stick to the roof of my mouth like some of the others!

• Like Like x 2
  7. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Also just realised that Tesco list the Fibre on its own - Fibre is a 'complex carbohydrate', so there's another 5g for you,

8. Baruney

Baruney Type 2 · BANNED

Dam you @Marsha

The secret is out now!

I am a world renowned (OWN WORLD) expert on peanut butter and all things peanut related.

You have indeed struck gold as it the lowest of the low including whole earth and sun pat sugar free crunchy or smooth. I thought it was a mistake at first as it beats all contenders hands down. Most carby are the American imports funnily enough and lidl and aldi s fake American specials.

On the nut front aldi s chilli nuts are the lowest carbs but their normal nuts are one of the highest.

Who'd have thought.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I don't claim to be an expert but having lived in Canada I've been exposed to a fair few brands and my favourite is Meridian organic crunchy peanut butter which is over 11g per 100g but it's literally nothing but peanuts. No added sugar, salt or vegetable oils.

Total carbohydrate includes fibre. In the U.S. they deduct fibre from total carbohydrate to get net carbs. Harvard School of Health and many others say that fibre is an indigestible form of carbohydrate.

In the UK we don't have total carbs, we have net carbs and fibre. The calculation the Americans do is already done for us.

Since fibre is indigestible, there seems no point in adding it to net carbs to get total carbohydrate because the majority of it maybe all of it, won't raise BG. If you were to take insulin to cover total carbs, you might find yourself going too low, hours later.

T1s might want to check say Dr Bernstein on this but I know that American Atkins and Paleo followers work on net carbs.

Anything outside of the nutrition panels on products is a nutrition claim unsubstantiated by FSA, FDA etc.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Billy Ruffian

Billy Ruffian Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whole Earth is 5.3

Sun-Pat Crunchy with No Added Sugar has 13.8g Carbohydrates/100g, of which 3.5g sugars.

11. michelejane

michelejane Type 1 · Active Member

til I saw this thread I'd forgotten how much I love peanut butter. Must buy some tomorrow! I prefer whole earth but like the cheaper basic ones too.:happy:

12. mortiferum

mortiferum Type 2 · Active Member

I love peanut butter!

But have always associated it with strawberry jam and toasted tiger loaf bread. Now that I have stopped eating bread / jam Im at a lost how else to eat the peanut butter short of eating it straight out of the jar!

Just wondering how do other low carbers eat their peanut butter?

#12 mortiferum, Sep 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2015
  13. Ceres

Ceres I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@mortiferum I've been mixing my peanut butter with cream cheese and having it with strawberries in the morning.

And tomorrow, I plan to make this for a somewhat indulgent breakfast!

• Like Like x 3
  14. smag3

smag3 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

On a lidl high protein roll, toasted. Half a roll is 5 carbs. Worth seeking them out.

• Like Like x 4
  15. rich w

rich w Type 2 · Newbie

Hi all how do eat this on toast or with something else as it seams to good to true.

16. R2T2

R2T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Peanut butter on lettuce is nice too - sounds weird but tastes lovely. I like the hearts of romaine lettuce best for with peanut butter, nice and crunchy.

17. Tirianne

Tirianne Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Peanut butter spread in to the groove of a celery stick (or two) makes a great snack. I also spread it on a slice of 'Livlife' bread from Waitrose. This bread has saved me - at 3.9 g of carbs per slice it's perfect for sandwiches, egg or cheese on toast....... and occasionally I grate some 85% Lindt chocolate on it as soon as it's toasted...... 'it's as good as choc spread!!!
    Anyone made peanut butter cookies?

18. chalup

chalup Type 2 · Well-Known Member

With a spoon :p

19. debbiedoodles

debbiedoodles Type 2 · Well-Known Member

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/breads.html
    Some good recipes for flax crackers and almond crackers above. This is what I have with cheese, peanut butter, mashed avocado etc.
    For jam just cook down some strawberries with a tiny bit of water and blitz them then add tsp cornflour to thicken, if not sweet enough add xylitol

20. debbiedoodles

debbiedoodles Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are peanut butter cookies on this website

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/p/breads.html

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook