have no idea

brakes

Hi,

How does a pump actually work? I haven't got a clue, does it calculate your bs and administer insulin in response to this automatically?

cheers

liklejojo

Hi there,

The insulin pump is basically a small pager size device that attaches in your subcutaneous fat via a long wire (Like a mini drip), it works on basal rates (background insulin) and Bolus rates (instant insulin - like novorapid - this is usually what they use in the pumps).

You can program your pump to deliver a set amount of insulin over 24 hours, you can increase this basal at various times of the day or night depending on your needs.

When you eat you would enter an amount of Bolus (quick insulin) and then the pump delivers this to you immediately.

You can get pumps that do your blood sugar too but I think they only really give them to pregnant ladies, i'm not too sure?

This is obviously the very basic approach to what is an insulin pump, might be worth you asking your diabetes team a little more about it if your interested. You do need to know how to carb count to be on one though, I don't know if you have been on the DAFNE course or something similar?

Hope this helps, pm me if you want some more lengthier details :)