Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

pensionistamike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a Type 2 OAP who has to buy my own test strips.can anyone advise me on the vast difference
Are the cheaper ones inferior to the more expensive?....Ive even considered changing my Meter as
the one I use at the moment requires the higher priced replacements.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a Type 2 OAP who has to buy my own test strips.can anyone advise me on the vast difference
Are the cheaper ones inferior to the more expensive?....Ive even considered changing my Meter as
the one I use at the moment requires the higher priced replacements.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
What are you using at the moment? A lot of us use the SD Codefree as the strips are cheaper than most. There are also bulk discounts available. You can buy them through Amazon, eBay or direct from Home Health (who are the supplier)

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

The Uk uses the mmol/l system of measurement.
If you are using eBay I would also buy direct from Home Health (who have an e-bay shop) so you know you are getting the genuine article.

Hope that helps
Mark

Reactions: 2 people

lorsand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed four weeks ago and told not to test by the Nurse. I couldn't understand how I would know whether my lifestyle changes were working if I did not test and I could be waiting for a HbA1c retest in six months. So I purchased a meter and insisted on a three month initial recheck ... she agreed to the recheck. She also did tell me about low carb diet and the need for exercise. I went to see the GP for a different reason and was literally told off for testing!!!! She told me to stop immediately, stop worrying about low carbs and just adjust my portion size (I am overweight), what she did not ask was how large my portions were (now consciously a 'normal' portion), she did not ask if I had lost weight (I have lost 9lbs), she did not ask if I had started exercising (I am in my second week of daily gym sessions) ... nor did she ask what my BG was (it has gone down from a fasting of 9.3 to 6.3 and I only know that by checking my blood!). She told me strongly to stop with the specific diet, stop checking and to start a high dose of Metformin immediately and made an appointment for me to see the nurse today to sort it out. I have cancelled the appointment ... I feel that I have not been given the chance to try to control my diabetes on my own and I don't think my levels are dangerously high. So I will carry on testing and see in three months the results. In short, (sorry I waffle) I think meters and strips should be provided as it will save on long term costs.

Reactions: 4 people

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed four weeks ago and told not to test by the Nurse. I couldn't understand how I would know whether my lifestyle changes were working if I did not test and I could be waiting for a HbA1c retest in six months. So I purchased a meter and insisted on a three month initial recheck ... she agreed to the recheck. She also did tell me about low carb diet and the need for exercise. I went to see the GP for a different reason and was literally told off for testing!!!! She told me to stop immediately, stop worrying about low carbs and just adjust my portion size (I am overweight), what she did not ask was how large my portions were (now consciously a 'normal' portion), she did not ask if I had lost weight (I have lost 9lbs), she did not ask if I had started exercising (I am in my second week of daily gym sessions) ... nor did she ask what my BG was (it has gone down from a fasting of 9.3 to 6.3 and I only know that by checking my blood!). She told me strongly to stop with the specific diet, stop checking and to start a high dose of Metformin immediately and made an appointment for me to see the nurse today to sort it out. I have cancelled the appointment ... I feel that I have not been given the chance to try to control my diabetes on my own and I don't think my levels are dangerously high. So I will carry on testing and see in three months the results. In short, (sorry I waffle) I think meters and strips should be provided as it will save on long term costs.
Good for you.
It's your condition not the Doctor or nurse's. If you are seeing such good results then why would you stop doing what you are doing.
Sometimes I despair about the arrogance of Health Care Professionals who follow their script blindly. I wonder what they would do if diagnosed..
All the best
Regards Mark

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I havent been told either way whether to check or not. So for christmas my daughter bought me a monitor and whilst I'm not religiously checking I do get round to it sometimes. My Type II is diet only at the moment so I suppose I should see how different things affect me.

Cant say anything has really given me cause for concern but before diagnosis I could quite happily sit and eat a large family bag of fruit pastilles, sugar and all :eek:. Just a bit more midful of what to eat and drink now

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Every thing I know regarding T2 has been gathered from diabetes.co.uk. Long may they speak.

Li4m79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told not to test, so I bought myself a codefree. 2 days later I had a hypo due to the medication (and my strict lchf diet) so they then gave me meter.... now I have 2 which is pretty handy, one for at work and one i keep at home!!

Pulley_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am T1 and was prescribed 50 test strips with 2 repeats.

I test at least 7 times a day and explained that this prescription lasts one week and therefore only 3 weeks with repeats.

The nurse at my GP surgery was fully against prescribing me more and suggested that i cut down on testing. It took some tears and some frank conversations and I have finally got a reasonable prescription.

Kevmac60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I have been told not to test but only take one Metformin a day . I have managed to lower my blood sugar levels but have put on weight lately and now they say my cholesterol is high and want me to take statins but these can increase blood sugar . What do I do?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Kevmac60 - Testing blood sugars is up to the person. But, how else are you to know what foods raise your blood sugars and those foods that don't? A Blood glucose meter is a vital and important piece of a Diabetics equipment. And as for taking statins to help lower Cholesterol - this is a personal choice. I have taken them for 14 years and kept my Cholesterol under 4. :)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I am going to my DESMOND course this week and been told by others on here not to be surprised if the diabetic nurses teaching tells me I should not be testing as that is their jobs.

I can't WAIT:)

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

Regime: 20g LCHF, run 1 mile daily, weekly fasting.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T1 and was prescribed 50 test strips with 2 repeats.

I test at least 7 times a day and explained that this prescription lasts one week and therefore only 3 weeks with repeats.

The nurse at my GP surgery was fully against prescribing me more and suggested that i cut down on testing. It took some tears and some frank conversations and I have finally got a reasonable prescription.

I'm shocked that as t1 your nurse would do that to you. It's bad enough that they do that to us t2s. Glad you got a reasonable prescription in the end.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was never offered any courses, I am now beginning to think myself lucky

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was never offered any courses, I am now beginning to think myself lucky

Not even DAPHNE?

Diagnosed 13/4/16: T2, no meds, HbA1c 53, FBG 12.6, Trigs 3.6, HDL .75, LDL 4.0, BP 169/95, 13st 8lbs, waist 34" (2012 - 17st 7lbs, w 42").

6/6/16: FBG AV 4.6, Trigs 1.5, HDL 2.0, LDL 3.0, BP 112/68, BPM 66, 11st 11lbs, waist 30".

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to my DESMOND course this week and been told by others on here not to be surprised if the diabetic nurses teaching tells me I should not be testing as that is their jobs.

I can't WAIT:)

Did you go to the Desmond course @KevinPotts? I'm Cambridge based as well, and went to one last month. The nurse told everyone not to test as it "makes people anxious" Four of us piped up that we would be anxious if we didn't test, as we wouldn't know what foods were affecting us, but she didn't look convinced! I also told everyone about this site, and how useful it would be. I don't think she liked that much either!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Did you go to the Desmond course @KevinPotts? I'm Cambridge based as well, and went to one last month. The nurse told everyone not to test as it "makes people anxious" Four of us piped up that we would be anxious if we didn't test, as we wouldn't know what foods were affecting us, but she didn't look convinced! I also told everyone about this site, and how useful it would be. I don't think she liked that much either!

Yes I did...going out now, but will write a full review from my notes upon my return later tonight. Mine was in Sawston Medical Centre...flippin hec it was like a 5 star hotel:)

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just posted my summary report of the DESMOND day. See "Just Been Sequestered Onto A Desmond Course".

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

witchhazel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogant people, Sport, Politics
I was put on Metformin 4 years ago and was given a meter by my doctor. At the time he also told me T2's do not test. I rarely test, only when I don't feel well then I do. Last year after swimming I suffered a hypo, so thankfully had my meter. That's another thing my doctor told me, you don't get hypos on Metformin. I have since had 3. Last month I had a few episodes that started high and dropped quickly within 2 hour which my doctor cann't explain. I tested through this period to keep an eye on things, and I ran out of strips. I remebered I 'd dropped off a repeat prescription. I phoned the surgery and they told me to come in for an emergancy script. When it came to the desk it said not needed. Finally got to see the doctor to speak about it and was told the NHS no long supplies strips to T2. It brought on an anxiety attack as I asked how was I supposed to keep a check on things without being able to test. The response I got was I'll do it this time, on your head be it.