Have you seen this video? You should!

Paulwbm

I am relatively new to diabetes (type 2) and perhaps like many others who are not too well informed about this disease, I simply assumed that because I was not fat, overweight and obese, that this should not have happened to me. And I am one of, maybe, many millions of people in the UK who associate getting type 2 diabetes with being obese. I got my wake up call, that day in May this year when my blood test results came through!

Take a look at this video. It is from a TEDMED talk that took place recently. See below, but please - read on first.

I put my post in this section rather than in the diabetes research section for two reasons:

1. Everyone should see this video. Especially if you are obese and blaming yourself for your diabetes. Especially if you look at obese people and simply blame them for being so. Especially if you look at obese people with diabetes and simply say, "own fault!" Especially if you are not obese but now have diabetes.

2. I hope that it will provide a discussion around how we might help change the accepted dogma and help to prevent the epidemic that appears to be overtaking all of the other so called "killer" diseases.

I know that no one who is a member of this forum would hold such thoughts about obesity, but there are many others, including a number of medical professionals perhaps, who do.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_wh ... betes.html

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

Paulwbm said:
I am relatively new to diabetes (type 2) and perhaps like many others who are not too well informed about this disease, I simply assumed that because I was not fat, overweight and obese, that this should not have happened to me. And I am one of, maybe, many millions of people in the UK who associate getting type 2 diabetes with being obese. I got my wake up call, that day in May this year when my blood test results came through!

Take a look at this video. It is from a TEDMED talk that took place recently. See below, but please - read on first.

I put my post in this section rather than in the diabetes research section for two reasons:

1. Everyone should see this video. Especially if you are obese and blaming yourself for your diabetes. Especially if you look at obese people and simply blame them for being so. Especially if you look at obese people with diabetes and simply say, "own fault!" Especially if you are not obese but now have diabetes.

2. I hope that it will provide a discussion around how we might help change the accepted dogma and help to prevent the epidemic that appears to be overtaking all of the other so called "killer" diseases.

I know that no one who is a member of this forum would hold such thoughts about obesity, but there are many others, including a number of medical professionals perhaps, who do.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia_wh ... betes.html

What is your regime now and how has it helped?

Paulwbm

Hi Gezzathorpe

I'm low carbing, in line with the general behaviour of many on this forum. I find it tough to stay with it but I've cut out all sugars and most carbs. I struggle most with breakfast, where I have always liked muesli or oat cereals. If I can come off this, then I'm sure the levels will improve further. to compensate for the breakfast, I eat virtually no more carbs each day. My numbers are consistently within the range for a type 2 but I'm keen to go lower. I think my carb start is actually setting the level for the day and this needs to stop.

The aim off my original post here was to inspire some discussion around common perceptions and whether the diabetes community can help change perceptions about what are the causes and what are the effects of the disease. Please watch the video. The question to be answered is what is the underlying cause for insulin resistance? Is the medical profession and pharmaceutical industry seeking to answer this?