having a baby

ez2

I am a t2 diabetic and have been diagnosed since 2007. I am currently trying to decide whether or not I should try for a baby. Im 37 and my last blood results were 8.4 average. I am currently taking

humalog breakfast and dinner
humalin i - overnight
4x500g metformin
40g simvastatin

I really need some help in how to be healthier, food is a big issue and exercise is a little hit and miss. Just would like some feedback please from anyone with any experience of being an older parent with diabeties.

emmatree

I would recommend having a chat with your GP or DSN about this. When we were toying with the idea of a second baby, my GP referred me to the diabetic consultant in the gynae dept at the local hospital. It was enormously useful, she gave me all the possible scenarios, medications, complications, preparations, and support, and there are many, many things to consider! It is never going to be as easy or straightforward pregnancy for an older diabetic than a non-diabetic. The only thing I would say in addition to getting some professional advice is that you need to be in as best "shape" as possible to do this, ie- as low and controlled BS as you can reasonably manage and maintain I would think. That's the message I got loud and clear!

Good luck

jopar

Ask your doctor to refer you to the pre-pregnancy diabetic clinic..

They will go through all the risk factors, help to decide where your HbA1c needs to be before trying for a baby, help with more input to get your there... Don't worry if you are only considering trying at the moment, as it still well worth discussing the option with them..