Having fallen off the wagon big time.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Having fallen off the wagon big time, I have not been here for some time. Bit panicky at the moment as following a lunch of large crisps and six buttered buns , yes six, my blood meter is showing 32. 15 mins ago it was 31. Am chugging down water like nobody's business butt what else can I do short term to get this figure down?

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Also - whilst I was away the forum look changed and I'm not sure where anything is. I need to update my info re meds as I am now on 72units of Toujeou daily and Novorapid of 2 4 2.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Also - whilst I was away the forum look changed and I'm not sure where anything is. I need to update my info re meds as I am now on 72units of Toujeou daily and Novorapid of 2 4 2.

If you click on your avatar/name (top right of the page on my computer) you should get "account details" as one of the options. Go into that and Medication is one of the fields that can be modified.

• Informative
Reactions: VashtiB

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

From a T1 perspective on a basal bolus regime of insulin.
It looks like you may have underestimated the carbs in the meal to your dose of Novorapid.

If I was in that region with the BGs? I’d take a correction dose & monitor closely.

You would need to speak with your diabetic team regarding dosage advice for carb counting as well as possible correction dosing too..
Nobody on the forum can give dosage advice.

How long have you been prescribed insulin?
You can ring the 111 NHS helpline. Have you tested for ketones, too?

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: VashtiB and EllieM

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go for a walk? Use the stairs a few times? A few squats, a rest then a few more? Just move a bit more? Don’t go mad as cardio or overexertion might raise it whereas steady exercise within your capabilities should drop it.

are you on any medication for diabetes? how long after starting the lunch were the readings?

Hopefully the levels are falling now but especially if not do you have a ketone meter (don’t panic - as a type 2 having eaten a very high carb lunch it’s unlikely to be dka much more likely just overdoing it but if you have the ability it’s reassuring to check)

oh and avoid topping levels off with more carbs

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @Serena51

I hope your levels have come down a bit by now and you are feeling a bot better.

I just wanted to say- don't beat yourself up too much. It's too easy to fall off the wagon and to sit and stay there. The tougher thing is to dust yourself off and get back on the wagon.

Good luck :)

Reactions: jjraak and EllieM

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you for your supportive replies.

This morning I'm down to 12 and feel much better.
My DSN tells me what to inject and when which leaves me feeling out of control a lot of the time. My 2023 resolution is to lose weight and get back in control so I will be back here.