having laser!

Jade2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have had type 1 diabetes for 20years , i have recently had some problems with my eyes and have to have laser done on my right eye to help loss of slight i feel very scared just wanted to no if anyone has had this done and what happens when you it it done .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
i have had type 1 diabetes for 20years , i have recently had some problems with my eyes and have to have laser done on my right eye to help loss of slight i feel very scared just wanted to no if anyone has had this done and what happens when you it it done .

Hello, there are many on here who have had laser surgery ,my self included on both eyes now, 25 years type 1. You will have drops put in both eyes, these drops will make the pupils larger for lasering. I found some of the laser uncomfortable, it depends on how much you have and the strength of the laser shots. You will need sunglasses for outside, as it's difficult to see afterwards, this will last for a few hours and it's advisable not to drive.
Try not to worry to much ( difficult I know),and while you are there, ask any questions regarding the procedure if you need to. I always go on my own, some have another person with them, but I find it's not treally necessary. Good luck and I'm sure you will be fine. Take care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had laser to both eyes in the late 90s (about 6 session in all). Experience was similar to @Robinredbreast .

My eyes have been stable since with no further signs of change (I have them screened every 8-12 months at Moorfields).

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had laser surgery a few years ago. Entirely painless to have and very little discomfort afterwards.
Make sure you take a pair of sunglasses, non prescription of course as your eyes will be sensitive after they are done...
Afterwards you'll hopefully be gobsmacked at not having to wear specs again... one of the best things I've ever spent goo money on!
Good luck, hope everything is as easy for you as it was for me.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had laser surgery a few years ago. Entirely painless to have and very little discomfort afterwards.
Make sure you take a pair of sunglasses, non prescription of course as your eyes will be sensitive after they are done...
Afterwards you'll hopefully be gobsmacked at not having to wear specs again... one of the best things I've ever spent goo money on!
Good luck, hope everything is as easy for you as it was for me.
@jackois - was that laser for diabetic retinopathy or laser for reshaping your corneas (for focus)?

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jade try not to get scared over laser treatment, it sounds worse than the reality. It can be a bit uncomfortable, I found it an odd sensation rather than overly painful. If you do find it at all painful, tell the person doing it as they can move to a different area of your retina for a time. I had local anaesthetic drops put into my eyes as well as dilating drops. The surgeon puts a contact lens in front of your eye and directs the laser beam at the affected areas of your retina, you see a rapid succession of bright lights which is the laser beam being aimed at specific areas of your retina.

Don't be alarmed if you are told you might need more than 1 session as they limit the amount of laser burns that are put on to your retina each treatment. I wish you good luck with it. All the best.