Having major low blood levels

Hey all,

I've read through a few of these discussion topics and threads, but never posted myself. I've had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 2 (almost 25 years), and have always had ups and downs, but for the past few weeks I can't seem to stop having moderate to severe hypos. I've already lowered my long-acting insulin (both the morning and evening doses)about 8 days ago, and have lowered my short-acting as well to try and cope, but I'm still going low all the time (several times a day).

My diabetes is difficult to deal with at the best of times, because I have several other illnesses that affect my diabetes, including Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia. Because of these illnesses, some days are good, but most are bad (health-wise). It's also very difficult to tell what my sugar levels will be like from day to day because of this, or if a dosage will be enough for what I'm eating. For example, sometimes a bowl of cereal (about 30g carbs) will warrant about 3 units of my short-acting insulin, whereas other times I'll have to take 4 or only 1, with the same amount of cereal because the insulin works too well or it just wasn't enough.

So for the past 2.5 weeks I've been steadily decreasing my short-acting insulin intake, and now I'm afraid to take any whenever I eat, because I will just go low. And because I'm going low so often, I feel like I'm in a constant state of dealing with the effects of a reaction all the time.

If anyone has any suggestions or can help in any way, I would be unbelievably grateful!

- Dini

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a case some time ago where someone was getting hypos and she admitted taking more alcohol than before so may I ask if you imbibe at all.

Understandable, but no, I neither drink nor smoke or indulge in any recreational drugs at all. I have been known to eat more sweets than should be consumed, but that hasn't been the case for a while, and at the moment, with the continuous lows, I don't think that would make a huge difference. I'm not exercising much, due to my other conditions, though I have lost almost a stone since I last checked about 2 months ago, and I'm not sure why either! I did wonder if the loss of weight would make it easier for the insulin to work, but I've weighed less than my current weight and haven't had any bouts of hypos before. It's very confusing!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The link between weight and diabetes is one to which I, personally, do not subscribe to so there are not many options left here. Go back to eating some sweets to see if that restores you to where you were before.

We will have to wait to see if someone else comes up with any more ideas.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
For me, when I lost weight my insulin needed to reduce as well by quite a bit so maybe that is the cause of the lows. But, if you are losing weight without trying there may be another underlying cause so best to go and see your GP to check it out. How are your injection sites - you haven't changed sites recently? I guess you are testing regularly and it maybe worth going back to square one and see if your basal insulin is way too much. Only some thoughts but maybe gong to the GP is the first step. I do hope things improve for you - between everything the hypos as a real problem and can be scary,

Thanks, Squire. It is difficult to tell, and I've never really put much regard into weight and insulin, but I know it does affect some people, like Riri mentioned.

I agree with you, Riri, the GP is probably the best bet. Over been trying to get hold of the diabetic nurses, as they're fantastic in my area, but no one has been available to talk. I thought I would see if any others had had to deal with a problem like this on here, as suggestions and ideas can sometimes help shed light on things.

I really appreciate both of your responses, so thank you!!