having trouble controlling bs

Shazza

Hi I,m having some trouble controlling sons bs he was away on holiday without me last week so i,m unsure if its that or because he,s starting to get a cold, this will be the first time he,s been unwell since diagnosed in Aug. Is it normal for readings to be up and down because of a cold?

Celtic.Piskie

Dislikes
Whole-wheat past and rice, tastes horrible. Cats, spiders, and people who think nick jonas is a musician.
Yes.

BS go up in 'normal' people when they have a virus, and it plays haywire with diabetics.
Generally, it makes mine go up, although everything gets more dramatic when i've got a cold.

Don't worry too much, easier said i know. Keep him hydrated, and it'll be over soon.
Good luck, and hope he feels better soon :)

kewgirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Shazza

A seemingly simple inconvenience of having a common cold can be a real challenge for a diabetic.
I hope the following makes sense and explains why blood glucose levels become high & erratic during illness.

Infection causes stress on our bodies.
When this occurs, the body needs more energy to "fight" this stressor i.e. infection caused by the virus or bacteria, so it releases hormones - called "counter-regulatory hormones".
These hormones tell the liver to release extra glucose to provide the body with this energy.
These hormones also unfortunately inhibit the effect of insulin - which means the body becomes somewhat insulin resistant. & the cells that normally uptake the insulin become temporarily less sensitive.
As a result, blood glucose rises & levels become more erratic.

Depending on the extent of the infection, blood glucose might be more difficult to control for a while after infection.
It is also common for a period of up to 2 weeks following an infection for blood glucose levels to continue to be slightly higher and somewhat erratic before settling down again..

Hope your son feels better soon.

Best wishes

Txx

Shazza

Thanks for explaining I understand it now, dont know what I,d have done without this website for help. His cold isnt that bad but his brothers is so it could get worse, bs is 13 roughly double what he norm is. He has his 1st visit at the hospital next week for that test I was hoping he wouldnt be too bad but after a week away on holiday now the cold i dont have much hope!

Thanks again