Hay Fever affecting BGs?

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
With this years tree pollen being quite high round here, I'd been into our pharmacist to find out what antihistamine would be safe to take (as I've not needed any in years)? I've taken Loratadine for the past 3.5 weeks to great effect with my hay fever, but without realising the cause (until Monday when I stopped) my BG's have had a slow but steady rise. I had wondered if my honeymoon was coming to an end, but they started falling yesterday and are now back down in the mid-4's where they have been happily steady.

Has anyone else noticed a BG rise with either Hay Fever or its remedies?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With this years tree pollen being quite high round here, I'd been into our pharmacist to find out what antihistamine would be safe to take (as I've not needed any in years)? I've taken Loratadine for the past 3.5 weeks to great effect with my hay fever, but without realising the cause (until Monday when I stopped) my BG's have had a slow but steady rise. I had wondered if my honeymoon was coming to an end, but they started falling yesterday and are now back down in the mid-4's where they have been happily steady.

Has anyone else noticed a BG rise with either Hay Fever or its remedies?
Yes, hay fever does raise BG for me. Very slightly. Think it is the immune response.
Beware steroid nasal sprays. Give relief from symptoms, but increase BG. A saline nasal spray / wash can give some relief from hay fever symptoms. I find these don't seem to affect BG levels.