Type 2 Hb1ac how do the NHS

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning all my friends I have my Hb1a 6 month assessment this Thursday(6th April), I can understand how I can work my 90 day average Hb1ac ,by totaling my FBG up and dividing by 90 days but how do the NHS do it with just one test,thank you ,enjoy your day:)

ps,sorry if this is a silly question that has been covered before

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @wiseowl_123
Gleaned from earlier posts ..

Blood glucose tests measure the concentration of glucose molecules in the blood at a single point in time.
The HbA1c test measures the proportion of haemoglobin molecules in the blood that have become chemically bonded with glucose over a period of up to 3 months.

Best link I have found .. which includes a BG <> HbA1c converter ...
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

Hope this helps

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good morning @AM1874 and @Art Of Flowers my friends many thanks for answering my question,much appreciated;)

Sorry about this but i still can't understand how my early morning FBG testing can give me and idea of what my 90 day Hb1ac is,or can I not rely on the comparison,

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just by averaging your FBG tests will never give you an estimated HbA1c figure because it is just one test a day taken when fasting. You would need to test many times a day, before and several times after meals, and be able to catch your post meal peaks before any sort of estimation could be made.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@wiseowl_123 although the test looks at the past 3 months, the last month seems to carry more weight. Don't ask me why, just read this many times. Just leave it to the lab guys and hope for a nice surprise!

Reactions: Bluetit1802