Type 2 HbA1c 40 to 48

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I recently had a diabetic review my last one was 15months ago they kept cancelling my appointments! Last time I went my HbA1c was 42 now it's 48! And I've lost 7lbs since my last visit. My test was two weeks after Christmas and I did eat more cheese and biscuits a few sausage rolls and maybe to much red wine. Sorry to sound vague but I feel a failure as I was doing so well. Could the Christmas period have done this?

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Hi I recently had a diabetic review my last one was 15months ago they kept cancelling my appointments! Last time I went my HbA1c was 42 now it's 48! And I've lost 7lbs since my last visit. My test was two weeks after Christmas and I did eat more cheese and biscuits a few sausage rolls and maybe to much red wine. Sorry to sound vague but I feel a failure as I was doing so well. Could the Christmas period have done this?
Absolutely.

Christmas is a bit of a difficult time. Too much temptation and even things we don’t think are obviously going to raise our levels, can and do.
But don’t be hard on yourself as it happens to most of us and what goes up can come down so you certainly aren’t a failure, just human. It’s great you’ve lost 7lb so be proud of that and just get back on track as I am sure you will.

Reactions: Prem51 and pinky_69

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Absolutely.

Christmas is a bit of a difficult time. Too much temptation and even things we don’t think are obviously going to raise our levels, can and do.
But don’t be hard on yourself as it happens to most of us and what goes up can come down so you certainly aren’t a failure, just human. It’s great you’ve lost 7lb so be proud of that and just get back on track as I am sure you will.
Thank you for your kind words feeling a bit down about it all and sorry for myself

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Perhaps. Red wine is fine as is cheeSe, sausage roll ok but not the pastry and no biscuits! Sorry. You are only slightly over the threshold so a couple of months on lower carb and you’ll be back on track. Christmas is hard..

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @pinky_69. I have had such experiences a couple of times since diagnosis,

For myself, I say "I only have to look at a piece of bread or some pastry and my BG shoots up". If you are in this situation too you have my sympathy! I have severe insulin resistance (another way of saying too high carbs for too long over a long period of time, so there is a serious 'Halt!' to glucose and insulin going on in my cells and organs). You might too?

How I frame it is - we all have different carbohydrate tolerances, and what level of eating carbs (in relation to dietary fats) which can disrupt your blood glucose regulation/insulin production etc etc is different in different folks. Due to what is going on in your liver and pancreas and in your fat cells and so on, as someone with diabetes (or in our case - intermediate hyperglycemia).

Hope my experience with insulin resistance and intermediate hyperglycemia in relation to carbs can shed some light on your own predicament?

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @pinky_69. I have had such experiences a couple of times since diagnosis,

For myself, I say "I only have to look at a piece of bread or some pastry and my BG shoots up". If you are in this situation too you have my sympathy! I have severe insulin resistance (another way of saying too high carbs for too long over a long period of time, so there is a serious 'Halt!' to glucose and insulin going on in my cells and organs). You might too?

How I frame it is - we all have different carbohydrate tolerances, and what level of eating carbs (in relation to dietary fats) which can disrupt your blood glucose regulation/insulin production etc etc is different in different folks. Due to what is going on in your liver and pancreas and in your fat cells and so on, as someone with diabetes (or in our case - intermediate hyperglycemia).

Hope my experience with insulin resistance and intermediate hyperglycemia in relation to carbs can shed some light on your own predicament?
Thank you AloeSvea it's nice to know I'm not alone. I just hope it comes down on my next review

Reactions: Prem51 and AloeSvea

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And please don't forget the HbA1c is an average of from 2 to 3 months . 48 though is not a disaster. Good luck with next review. :)

Reactions: keefidee and Prem51

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Do you have a BG test meter and if so are you using it Pinky? I test myself regularly to see which foods raise my BG. I test just before I have a meal and then again 2 hours after the first bite. I have found that potatoes, rice, pasta and bread are an absolute no,no, whereas other veg, plums and blackberries and the usual meat, fish cheese nuts and seeds are fine. I've also found that strenuous exercise pushes my BG way down, so if I am a bit naughty with what I eat, 15 minutes on my exercise bike keep my BG from spiking. Once you know what to eat and what to avoid, then you can test less often. BTW, don't worry if your BG is a bit high first thing in the morning. That's just your liver putting some glucose in your blood to get you ready for the day. My BG is usually around 6 in the morning and then falls to around 5 by lunchtime. My HBa1C was 42 at the last test and 40 six month earlier. It was 53 at diagnosis 15 months ago. Good luck and keep asking questions.

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you have a BG test meter and if so are you using it Pinky? I test myself regularly to see which foods raise my BG. I test just before I have a meal and then again 2 hours after the first bite. I have found that potatoes, rice, pasta and bread are an absolute no,no, whereas other veg, plums and blackberries and the usual meat, fish cheese nuts and seeds are fine. I've also found that strenuous exercise pushes my BG way down, so if I am a bit naughty with what I eat, 15 minutes on my exercise bike keep my BG from spiking. Once you know what to eat and what to avoid, then you can test less often. BTW, don't worry if your BG is a bit high first thing in the morning. That's just your liver putting some glucose in your blood to get you ready for the day. My BG is usually around 6 in the morning and then falls to around 5 by lunchtime. My HBa1C was 42 at the last test and 40 six month earlier. It was 53 at diagnosis 15 months ago. Good luck and keep asking questions.
Thank you I have got one I'll start using it again

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I have got one I'll start using it again

That is a good idea. You need to know what is going on so you can do something about it. No point waiting till your next HbA1c.

I doubt Christmas excesses will have made much difference. Certainly the red wine won't have! The HbA1c looks at the previous 2 to 3 months, so a few days of excess won't really show up that much.