Hba1c 6.9% and wanting to conceive

auratrebor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I was hoping for some thoughts/advice. I'm 31 and have had T1D for 22 years. My current hba1c is 6.9%, which is probably the best it's ever been. It's taken such a long time and a lot of effort to get it to this level and I'm really struggling to get it any lower! I have been attending the pre conception clinic taking folic acid etc. for almost a year now and each time told that I'm almost there but feel like I'm hitting a brick wall and I'm worried given my age how much longer I can wait to get it to the optimal level. Has anyone else conceived at this level and has everything been OK?

Charlieann94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I'm in a similar position to you. We're currently trying to conceive - I was given the go ahead at 6.9% but i believe every consultant is different. We're on month 4 of trying. Currently at 6.7 now and just been approved for a pump. I also did the DAFNE course which really helped.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any support - it's nice to know someone is in a similar boat sometimes! :)

Reactions: EllieM

auratrebor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your message. I just saw your post too :)

My libre app is now predicting my hba1c at 6.8 and I have a hospital appointment on Monday so I'm hoping that will be positive! I think they'd told me to aim for 6.5 originally but last time mentioned 6.7. Its so frustrating being this close because it feels like it takes so long even getting it down that extra 0.1%!

Good luck to you as well and thank you again for responding, as you say it does make you feel better when you know you're not alone!

AllyMac70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am Type 1 and had my daughter 12 years ago (at the time, I’d been diabetic for 12 years). My hba1c prior to conception was probably around 8%. My diabetic consultant was more concerned about my sugars being kept in target during, rather than before pregnancy, and making sure I was taking folic acid, so didn’t have any of the discussions you’ve been having. Daughter was delivered at 37W + 5 ( they won’t let you go beyond 38W), a healthy 6lb 13oz and with none of the issues that can occur with babies born to diabetic mums.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had 3 children naturally so not sure why you are waiting for permission?
Like you I had okay blood sugars edging the 7 mark but in those days there was no FSL so possibly less obsessive management of my blood sugars?
No guarantees but all my pregnancies had good outcomes though I did have pre eclampsia in 1st and all 3 arrived early (34, 37 and 35 weeks). Once you have a c section you are then obliged to have all further deliveries in this way because they will not induce you against a previous scar (very wisely).
I was rigorous with my Bgs and it should be easier for you with FSL (I hope) and attended all the appointments. The team looked after me very diligently.
When you become pregnant you may feel both excitement and terror. You will be more prone to pre eclampsia or needing a c section but of course the longer you leave it the more risks you entail in any case. As type 1s we represent a bit of a nuisance to the medics or that is the impression I got.
I hope you can balance up these risks and that you can enjoy a pregnancy and baby; I'd hate for anyone to miss out on the chance of this because of type 1.

Charlieann94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your message. I just saw your post too :)

My libre app is now predicting my hba1c at 6.8 and I have a hospital appointment on Monday so I'm hoping that will be positive! I think they'd told me to aim for 6.5 originally but last time mentioned 6.7. Its so frustrating being this close because it feels like it takes so long even getting it down that extra 0.1%!

Good luck to you as well and thank you again for responding, as you say it does make you feel better when you know you're not alone!

Hey!

That's great - so you're only 2 off the recommended goal, like me. The way I saw it was it is an average so in 3 months time I should be in an even better place and the likelihood of catching on straight away isn't great - I'd go for it if you're comfortable with your control at the moment! I've read once you do get that positive test you get an insane amount of motivation, too! So thats good to know! Good luck and please keep me updated! x

Reactions: EllieM