HBA1c Blood test

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I have my second HCA blood test coming up next week but I can't remember if I have to fast for this one?
Does anyone know?
My first one was back in June, so a long time to recall what I had to do.
I know it's a 9 0'clock appointment, so if I do need to fast it won't be too bad.
Thanks in advance

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm pretty sure you'll have to fast 10-12 hours but a quick call to your surgery should make it all 99% clear !! Good luck hope you get the results you want

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
No, an HbA1c test does not require fasting - it is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months so what you have just eaten will have no effect.

However, we normally also have other tests at the same time, one of which is the cholesterol. In order to get an accurate Triglyceride reading you do need to fast, otherwise your triglycerides will be swimming all round your blood stream doing their job and will thus give a higher reading.

Reactions: Chasida

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have never been told to fast for my diabetic blood tests so I Don, t fast

Reactions: Chasida

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
Oh Thank you for telling me ally1. I'm pleased that I can go ahead and have my usual breakfast then .. particularly as it's a mile walk down to the health centre!!!

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
No, an HbA1c test does not require fasting - it is an average of the previous 2 to 3 months so what you have just eaten will have no effect.

However, we normally also have other tests at the same time, one of which is the cholesterol. In order to get an accurate Triglyceride reading you do need to fast, otherwise your triglycerides will be swimming all round your blood stream doing their job and will thus give a higher reading.
Ahhh ... bummer :(