Type 2 Hba1c & Fasting BG

Johnscone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am T2 taking 1000mg Metformin twice per day.
My recent Hba1c was 5.5.
My overnight fasting glucose is 7.3 to 7.5.
Can anyone tell me why there is such a difference between my Hba1c and fasting readings?

A

asparagusp

My fasting levels have been good for ages but post prandial absolutely horrendous and indeed my Hba1c so that's why there is a difference. Do more readings!

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HbA1c and Fasting Blood Glucose levels are related, but not the same thing. The HbA1c is a mean average reading of your Blood/Glucose level over the previous 3 month period, where as the Fasting Blood glucose level is what your body settles back to after an overnight fasting period.
Also it might be worth while researching both the 'Morning Phenomina or Dawn Phenomina' a common effect that raises Blood Glucose levels first thing upon waking. A much rarer thing is also the 'Symogi' effect that in many ways appears to give the same effect but is actually caused by a different body action.

Last edited:

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your HbA1c is your average glucose over a 3 month period. Your numbers sound similar to mine. I always have a high FBG but during the day they arw fine and my Hb result has held steady on 34.