HBa1c from 8.2 to 5.8 in 60 Days ... Is the test wrong?

Later123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Continuing with my low carb diet and at the six month mark my HbA1c was 5.5 percent at the lab test.

I did go off Glimepiride for two weeks to determine its impact. It's my opinion the small amount I was on helped with BG control by ten percent.

I was high fat / low carb for two months at reached 5.8 percent. Three more months I'm 5.5 percent. While my HDL is very good my LDL is very high, in fact up 12 percent since starting the high fat / low carb diet. This means, reducing fat, eggs and cheese going forward.

Reactions: Prem51 and kokhongw

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Continuing with my low carb diet and at the six month mark my HbA1c was 5.5 percent at the lab test.

I did go off Glimepiride for two weeks to determine its impact. It's my opinion the small amount I was on helped with BG control by ten percent.

I was high fat / low carb for two months at reached 5.8 percent. Three more months I'm 5.5 percent. While my HDL is very good my LDL is very high, in fact up 12 percent since starting the high fat / low carb diet. This means, reducing fat, eggs and cheese going forward.
Not necessarily.. it means your LDL has gone up but that is not always a bad thing. Just because some people call it “bad” cholesterol (including most doctors) doesn’t make it true. Check out Dave Feldman’s www.cholesterolcode.com for some fascinating insights.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
While on medication how low will my numbers have to reach to go off medication?
I don't know the answer to that, but from what I've read on this forum in the UK doctors will put T2s on medication if their HbA1c is 58 or above. Others who are or have been on medication might be able to give you more advice.