HBA1C Home Test Kit

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
Has anyone purchased or tried the home test kits for HBA1C testing. I am fed up with all the time I am having to take off work for appointments, and today was the final straw when I found out that for my diabetic appointment on Tuesday next week, I have to make 1 appointment to get a form for HBA1c, another, separate appointment on a different day for the blood test.

I have seen 2 types - where you send a sample to a clinic, or the one I am interested in is the actual home test kit. I am interested to know how accurate they are, and if anyone can recommend them (which make/model). The first I have found is the Siemans DCA 2000 HBA1C Control Kit.

Finally, the one I am looking at requires 1uL blood. Is this an amount you can get from a finger prick? Thanks in advance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.millermedicalsupplies.co...ba1c-and-diabetes-monitoring-10-test-kit-4844

I have used this kit, and it has twice been 0.1% above my lab test, on the same day. I bought slightly cheaper from a company called BHR Pharmaceuticals, but they don't seem to have it listed on their website at the moment.

To be honest, it doesn't replace the lab tests as it solely does an HbA1c, not all the other things I tend to have tested at the same time. Can't you arrange for a form to be done without seeing anyone? It's not like your diabetes is likely to be a surprise to anyone!

Alternatively, you could use someone like this outfit: http://bluehorizonmedicals.co.uk/ep...Private_Blood_Test_Catalogue/Diabetes_Testing .

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the prompt reply @AndBreathe . You have made a couple of valid points - I will miss the other things they test for (which is not an option) but on the flip side, it is actually very affordable, and for me, I think a 0.1% variation could be an acceptable tolerance if I chose to do this in the future. With regards to the form, nope, they really are that pedantic, but it is my fault as I am usually given the form at the previous appointment.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the prompt reply @AndBreathe . You have made a couple of valid points - I will miss the other things they test for (which is not an option) but on the flip side, it is actually very affordable, and for me, I think a 0.1% variation could be an acceptable tolerance if I chose to do this in the future. With regards to the form, nope, they really are that pedantic, but it is my fault as I am usually given the form at the previous appointment.

I think the variance is excellent, bearing in mind the lab test is venous blood, where the home test is capillary blood.

I have used them for interim tests, and also to keep an eye on things when I have been reintroducing some foods. As a diet controlled T2, clearly what goes into my mouth is my main weapon and potentially main enemy, all rolled into one.

I've actually just got a test out of the fridge to warm up to do this evening. :)