Type 2 HbA1c, LDL and weight loss

karencymru

I had blood taken earlier this week in readiness for 3 month review. Today the surgery called and said the GP wants the test repeated, but the receptioist wasn't sure why. I picked up a print out of results ( thank you forumites for the tip).

There are two possibiliites
  • she doesn't believe it's possible that my HbA1c has fallen from 120 to 43 in 3 months ( thanks again forumites) I'm so happy with this !!!
  • my LDL has gone up to 4.1 - not so happy with this
I have read that LDL will go up whilst losing weight ( 10kg in 3 months, not massive drop) because as fat disappears LDL has no where to go when forced out (dodgy science explanation from me). Is this right?

So the question ...

How can I keep lchf, lose more weight , avoid statins and lower the LDL please . Would like to go to GP appointment after repeat test prepared for discussion.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
avoiding statins is easy - say no!

What are your HDL and Trig numbers - more important than LDL

When you are losing weight cholesterol numbers are all over the place and people get widely different results

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow your a1c figures are so impressive
The docs don't realise that it is possible and we should get the right advise from them to take care of it. I got mine down to 47 from 142 in 3 months and my doc wasn't surprised he said it's good keep doing what you are doing coz I don't give a monkey's a*** basically. Its good your doc is helping you more than mine. I am sorry but I don't have a lot of knowledge about cholesterol so some one can come along and help. But very well done on your a1c. Oh I forgot my dn said are you sure you were diabetic or did your bloods swap with someone. But I had fasting of 16 and in a week it was 6. I don't know what's right and who's wrong but loving lchf anyways.

Reactions: 6 people

karencymru

Thank you both for the replies. Will practice saying no to statins firmly, but as you noticed I have a pretty good GP who takes account of my thoughts and wishes too so shouldn't be an issue . Feel bit more relaxed about lipids if they are all over the place when losing weight, although still need to lose and it's definitely slowed down.

I see you both had dramatic HbA1c drops in the first 3 months, and seeing evidence of that on these forums has spurred me on. Unlike you my fasting bg remains high - same test date results were 7.9 for FBG. It then drops to mid/low 6s during the day and creeps up just before bed.

Thanks again

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is really impressive numbers, I hope mine will be in the low range when I come up for my 3 month review next month as well

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
as you lose weight on lchf I am sure your fasting numbers will reduce.

Reactions: 4 people

karencymru

Update, GP rang me today to say well done! She also said that although cholesterol higher than she'd like, she's sure it will come down and wouldn't suggest statins (not a promted comment either) .

Reactions: 8 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
I had blood taken earlier this week in readiness for 3 month review. Today the surgery called and said the GP wants the test repeated, but the receptioist wasn't sure why. I picked up a print out of results ( thank you forumites for the tip).

There are two possibiliites
  • she doesn't believe it's possible that my HbA1c has fallen from 120 to 43 in 3 months ( thanks again forumites) I'm so happy with this !!!
  • my LDL has gone up to 4.1 - not so happy with this
I have read that LDL will go up whilst losing weight ( 10kg in 3 months, not massive drop) because as fat disappears LDL has no where to go when forced out (dodgy science explanation from me). Is this right?

So the question ...

How can I keep lchf, lose more weight , avoid statins and lower the LDL please . Would like to go to GP appointment after repeat test prepared for discussion.
Well done on your results, great job, keep it up - is all your doc should probably say!
The type of ldl is more important (small / large) and your hdl levels also (higher the better). If your diet is right, and it looks like it is, don't worry. Your long term bloods should stabilise to favourable levels.

karencymru

Well done on your results, great job, keep it up - is all your doc should probably say!
The type of ldl is more important (small / large) and your hdl levels also (higher the better). If your diet is right, and it looks like it is, don't worry. Your long term bloods should stabilise to favourable levels.
Thank you for the encouragement, really appreciate it