Hba1c - Normal Quotient

Nick4344

I had some bloods done a week or so ago and phoned the doctors for the results earlier.

Was dealt with by one of the admin staff. Said liver and ferritin to be re-tested in a month, hba1c was in normal quotient and everything else was normal. I thanked her and hung up.

Realised I didn’t ask her for the hba1c reading and called back. She said it is “50 - normal quotient”.

This confuses me. My previous 2 readings have been 47 and then 42 and that was sufficient to be categorised as type 2. How can an increase to 50 be classed as normal?

Thanks

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This doesn't sound right.
Both 47 and 42 are classed as prediabetic, 50 is just over the threshold of diabetes.
I'd ring them again to ask what they meant.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd guess they know nothing and think that 50 is half way between 0 and 100 so it must be "normal".
Either that or really thick.
But why are admin staff giving out results with a commentary anyway?

Nick4344

I can only imagine they’ve been looked at by the doctor and noted accordingly, and the admin is reading that. Can’t be any other reason. I wonder when they were going to tell me I needed to have a retest of liver and ferritin in a months time

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine say normal for a diagnosed diabetic. They have less ambitious targets for us and assume we will fail. They just try to limit by how much.