1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HBA1C + Pump (possibly)

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by porl69, Mar 27, 2018.

1. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Appointment with the dietitian yesterday afternoon
    HBA1C of 61. And am VERY happy. Yeah, I know it isn't brilliant BUT 1 year ago it was 84 and 3 years ago 139!!!! So I AM very happy.
    I am also being put on the list for a pump (WOOHOO) due to hypo unawareness. Choices being Omnipod, Medtronic 640g (with Dexcom) or Accu check combo. So all in all I am one happy bunny :D :D
    At last I seem to have a diabetic team who actually cares AND listens to what I have to say

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jeremy_Wood

Jeremy_Wood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Great news @porl69 ! Kepp up the good work and let us know how you get on with the pump if and when it arrives!

J

• Like Like x 1
  3. asyarlk

asyarlk Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Which pump did you decide on?

4. porl69

If I can I think I am going to go for the Minimed 640G with the enlite sensor.....but will have to wait to see the pump consultant first (knowing my luck it will be months lol)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ruby_jane26

ruby_jane26 Type 1 · Active Member

Wow, what area are you in? I’m struggling with being in insulin pens and I keep having frequent hypos with reduced basal and impaired hypo awareness. A pump may be beneficial and I’m looking into changing to a pump friendly clinic.

6. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@ruby_jane26
    Personly I question how much benifit a pump would give most people without also having a CGM, and CGM without a pump would clearly help reduce your hypos.

I know some people with type1 find that a low carb diet reduces hypes as the increases in BG are slower, and hence less risk of over correcting.

7. porl69

I live in South Wales

• Like Like x 1
  8. porl69

I agree with you in some respect @ringi but with the ability to set a varied basal rate, based on trends, I do believe you would cut down hypos significantly. I have a tendency to hypo during the night BUT if i reduce my evening Tresiba then i would be running high all day.

9. ruby_jane26

ruby_jane26 Type 1 · Active Member

I have just cut down on my tresiba and I’m finding I’m running high all day too! So frustrating

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. porl69

Tresiba is really good for me. I do find I am getting pretty stable readings most of the time, even thou they may be a stable hypo during the night OR if I have a snack before bed and forget to bolus then a steady high :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That flat stable Libre line :)

Just hovering above your 'in range' line, straight, flat, consistent, immobile but never quite where you want it to sit, add a 1/2 u and it roller coasters downwards to a glucose tablet before straight lining back up to where it was, or the waking one at 7am with a flat 3.3 since 1am and two glucose tablets sends it to 12 where it happily settles down...

Those days eh!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. porl69

Totally agree with you on that one. Past 2 days the Libre line is playing at being a rollercoaster designer. Boy, the ups and downs over that time has been horrendous

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook